Which printer to buy for cheap compatible inks?

Quite. What's also the case is many car makers don't make all of their own parts - and things like brakes and pads can be sourced from more than one maker anyway. As spares, they can take, say, Bendix made pads, stick them in their own box and add 100% plus to the makers retail price.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I have been using a canon MP 510 for 3 or so years, It has never had anything but the original ink tanks which I fill with a hypodermic from

250 ml bottles that cost about as much for four bottles as 1 set of canon tanks. The canon can be made to ignore chip after a while. I have printed hundreds of A4 full colour prints in that time. 230 gsm A4 colour paper about $10 to $12 per 100 ( a wee bit more lately)from aldi or computer markets etc. I told a fib, I did get one after market black tank as I let the original go too long before refill and it bunged up.
Reply to
F Murtz

I've just had to dump a Canon i865 - so perhaps 10 years old - which had only fairly light use, but exclusively on non maker's cartridges and refills, after the supplied ones ran out. It died by ceasing to print any colour, only black, so I doubt it was the ink to blame.

I chose its replacement by checking how much pattern cartridges cost on Ebay. ;-) I do have a cheap Samsung mono laser, but the print quality isn't very good. It never has produced as black text as the inkjet.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The clue is in the title. If you use really cheap inks then expect trouble. However there are good quality compatible inks available but from what the OP says the problem he has is not using it enough so the works get bunged up. Unless you need colour then there are plenty of inexpensive laser printers around. In fact you can get a decent colour laser for under £170. Check out the Dell C1765nfw that produces excellent results and you can get a set of good quality compatible toner cartridges for less than £40.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

what like the deskjet D5460 and others that use the HP364 cartridges ?

to the OP, for B/W only a s/hand HP 4L or 5L are superb cheap laser printers for colour you can still buy a Brother DCP197C, non chipped cartridges which you can refill or use compatibles

-
Reply to
Mark

Most modern ones go into power save when unused for a few mins. I just leave mine like that. It powers up when you send it a job, and turns off again once its done.

Reply to
John Rumm

Yup. I have an A4 duplex HP 2300dn (A4 duplex) and a laserjet 8000 (A3 and A4) both of which came from eBay dealers who recycle "business" machines. Even colour lasers are not that expensive, I have a Dell 1320c which was only around £100 new.

Reply to
newshound

Eusebius formulated on Monday :

B&W laser, although colour ones are not that expensive. They don't dry up if not used and thy are cheap to fill. You could even get a good office laser for nothing on Freegle.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

I would happily pay more for a printer if I could be assured that I would be able to get cheap ink for it. I don't like the idea of the printer being the loss leader. A lot of good hardware gets sent to landfill as it gets cheaper to buy a new printer than a set of genuine cartridges.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Cheap hp lasers and ink jets. the only issue I've had with the ink jets are that the rollers seem to need cleaning a lot. I did have a lexmark but it was made from plastic that seemed to decompose after a while!

One thing I never fathom about HP ink jets though is that all their carts look the same but some will work in any version of their printers, and others will not. Epsom? well their mechanics are fine its the way they waste ink to clean themselves then get all gummed up and refuse to recognise anything at all. I could be uncharitable and suggest its deliberate!

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Eusebius submitted this idea :

Yep! The 'ink' is fine dry powder, transferred to the paper then melted into place. No jets, nothing clogged up, you just switch on and they work.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

cartridges. Finished with Epson. I had good experiences with Canon compatib le cartridges in the past, but both my printers' print heads eventually sto pped working.

if it always worked.

es trouble free so low cost upkeep.

Lasers are it. I lost patience with inkjet, too many times I went to print something important and it wouldnt play ball. Ink/carts didnt last long. Th ey were a big step forward from dot matrix, but their time is up in the sen se that there's no sense buying inkjet now. Even for infrequent use, the sm all extra upfront cost of a laser gets you a machine that actually works co nsistently. Inkjets are pants at infrequent use, they dry out and clog.

You can get new lasers from around 50 now, and an HP one I saw is as small as an inkjet if that matters.

Laser replacement supplies cost rather more than inkjet, but are required f ar less often, so youre better off.

Re brands, the whole point of brandnames is that you know what youre gettin g. Buying unknown brands gets you unknown quality - a lot is fine, but some brake pads are definitely not, as I learnt the scary way. Now that we have the internet its relatively easy to check if a product is known to be bad news.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I was given a free HP4000 Network plus duplex 10 years ago after an office upgrade. I am still using it today, they are built to run lots of pages per day. Have since been given a small HP colour network printer. Both sit in a room, on the network and ready to use. When I want to use either, they are powered via a wireless remote control 13 amp socket.

Cost of my printing has for the last ten years, been only the cost of the paper.

You can get better quality laser printers given, than you can buy at the cheaper end of the market. 15,000 page cartridges can be had for around £30 should one be needed. Just keep an eye on Freegle, office lasers frequently pop up when offices upgrade. If they fail, bin it and just pick up another.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

If you take your printer to a main branch of Cartridge World they will fix it for you, often for free. They unblock nozzles etc too. They got my Epson up and running again. It must be a main branch, the subsidiaries are just box shifters.

Reply to
harryagain

On 13/01/2014 14:05, Martin Brown wrote: ...

That is the most important point. Many people assume that all compatibles are the same and buy the cheapest available. Having once been in the business of selling compatible ink cartridges, I have been using them in my printers for years without problems.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

On 13 Jan 2014, Huge grunted:

Yes, I bought a Laserjet 5 on ebay years ago for about 30. I've kept it fed ever since with original HP toner cartridges from ebay sellers, costing no more than about 6 delivered (long obsolete, but retailed at a high 2- figure sum AFAICR). Those last me about 18 months / 8,000 pages so at a cost of around 13 pages for a penny I'm not exactly grumbling. The printer just goes on and on...

I'm very pissed off that when I recently reinstalled Windows XP on a computer here and wanted to reinstall the LJ5 printer driver, I discovered that it had actually been deleted from Microsoft's driver database; and no longer available from HP (in fact I found someone else on an HP forum asking about it, to be told by an HP-drone that support had been discontinued in 2006!). I just hope it doesn't dissappear from Windows 7 too.

Reply to
Lobster

Agreed. I have an Epson and have wasted more money on so called compatible cartridges from several makers than I would have ever spent on genuine ones. Since using genuine ones I have never had a problem AND they last longer!

Reply to
Jim S

Can you tell us what happened at all?..

What went wrong with them they failed or some way or similar and if so how?..

Reply to
tony sayer

My HP1018 has a page count of 17767 and happily runs on £10 ebay refills.

Peter

Reply to
Peter Andrews

Many of the new cheaper ones are only tanks IIRC. I setup a 5220 the other day and I'm pretty sure that wasn't heads in the carts.

I've also not had good experiences with cheap ink carts. Used to use some jettek (I think) ones that were ok - but they ended up being nearly as expensive as the real thing and the colours were never quite as good.

Would love to find some really good, cheap HP339 and HP344 carts if anyone has any recommendations...

Cheers,

Darren

Darren

Reply to