Which powered wheel tile cutter?

Hi,

trawled back through Goggle Groups a way but couldn't find this question answered.

I gather that:

(1) Some people find the PlasPlugs plastic tile cutters a bit flexible. (2) Steel tile cutters tend to rust.

So is it best to go for a more expensive PlasPlugs model, or are there better alternatives?

Screwfix shows the Erbauer at £44.99 or the Rexon at £59.99.

Alternatively (if I can find anywhere with one in stock) B&Q do the PlasPlugs Pro Tiler Plus for £39.99.

Anyone have experience of these models, and can give me some feedback?

TIA

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I got a metal one from Screwfix ages and it is showing slight signs of rust but it wan't any of the 2 models mentioned.

Here is a tip .Get yourself a cat litter tray big enough to sit the tile cutter in .Saves all the fluid going all over the floor or wherever you situate the machine . Doesn't stop you getting sprayed unfortunately .lol

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I have one of the Screwfix Erbauer saws. It's very strongly built - all-metal (which makes it reassuringly heavy!), and it's got the ability to cut straight across a tile, diagonally across (clever little plastic thingy fits over the 'fence').

It can also cut at an angle to the tile's face, though not sure why you'd want to do that.

Only minor niggles are the fact that the water reservoir (which sits under the blade) is a bit of a fiddle to get in & out, and usually spills when you are trying to clean up after a cutting session.

So far I've only used it for cutting wall tiles - but it was quick and accurate. Well worth the money, I'd say

Good luck Adrian

Reply to
Adrian

Can't see the Rexon on the Screwfix site...not at that price anyway although there are more expensive models ..There is also the Titan at £29.99 which looks similar to the one I bought a couple of years ago and it is showing signs of rust .

have the Rexon at £59.61

57413 Rexon TC1150AL Tile Cutter 230V £59.61

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I bought a cheap one from Screwfix a while ago and while the table is a bit rusty and scratched it still works ok. It chucks more water on the floor than on you these days but it still works fine. Had a couple of new wheels in it but it does the job.

The tray underneath it is a very good idea as they are very messy. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

I must be looking in a different place.

doesn't have the cheaper one you mentioned.

There must be different categories.

I will look at the other ones as well.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I used the Plasplug one and never had a complaint with it. Did a serious tiling with it - the tiles were thicker than normal and wouldn't break so all cutting had to be done with the tile saw. Excellent tool - can't sing it's praises highly enough.

Can't remember any problem with flexing - also can't remember if it had a jig for cutting on the diagonal, but it did have a jig for beveling edges which I used for corner tiles.

If you can do all your cutting outside all and good - otherwise the cat litter tray sounds a good idea. There is a cutter guard and you can angle that to prevent splash back. The blades aren't that cheap but I did a whole bathroom (20 sq m) with 2.

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

You must have some large cats round your way - my Plasplugs wouldn't fit in any one I've seen. It doesn't throw water onto the floor if you adjust the blade guard correctly but you do tend to get a bit damp round the belly.;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I've got the Plasplugs Contractor Plus and have been pretty satisfied with it. You do need to keep a bucket of water handy to dip the guide ends into fairly frequently to keep the clips working properly. Also to wash down the bed - but I'd guess this applies to any such cutter. Blade life has been good. It is an ideal size for clamping onto a Workmate too - great for working outside, my preferred way when cutting tiles because of the light.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Nah .Just a bog ( teehee) standard litter tray but the cutter has a narrower frame bit that it stands on so it fits the tray purrfectly .!!!

Reply to
Stuart

I have a £39:99 Plasplugs joby. Works OK but the plastic fence is a bit wafty. Keeps falling off.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Mitred corners without using one of those plastic edging strips.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I'd imagine that would be a tricky thing to do ,especially if it was anything other than a very short length .

Reply to
Stuart

That is one area where the plasplugs with its built in water recycling capability is better than some of the other.

Reply to
John Rumm

Tu cut mitred edges for use on corners if you dont want to use edging strips.

Reply to
John Rumm

On an external corner don't you end up with a sharp edges or if your round off the razor edge exposed tile core that looks ugly. In either case it's going to be very prone to chipping. A plastic edging strip will take the knocks.

For an internal corner I can't see the point and you don't want to tile tight to corners anyway in case the building moves and starts to stress the tiles.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

My steel one is rusty, was dead cheap and is on its second diamond wheel already.

It only let me down cutting 40mm, thick marble. Only 30mm depth of cut. It did 25mm sandstone slab though.

Buy cheap. Unless you are doing tiling every day, its more than good enough.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Not really.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well the tile saws don't leave the same sharp edge you get with the score and snap cutters. It also depends a bit on the tiles used. For ordinary pottery ones the plastic edges are probably better, but for things like 15mm thick travertine marble, mitres can work well.

No, would not use one then (in fact you don't usually mitre many internal corners of anything). I don't grout those either for the same reason (I use silicone).

Reply to
John Rumm

Handy for non glazed tiles like marble, etc.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)