Which one of you ...

And shaven?

Reply to
bert

Er, "students" implies some form of learning eastblishment.

Shouldn't you be handing out a vernier telling them to measure with it and when they say they don't know how, TEACH them how?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

All this because I couldn't read my tape measure!

Reply to
Huge

One that has outlasted many others is a flat blade screwdriver which came with the Meccano Clock Kit 2, which my parents bought me around the same time. Meccano tools tended to be low quality, just like their nuts and bolts of that era, but this screwdriver was uncharacteristically high quality. Nice chunky red plastic handle, and it used to say Meccano on it, but you can only just make out the indentations now, if you knew they were ever there. Blade has remained perfectly square and shows almost no signs of wear, given how much I've used it.

Just looked up meccano screwdrivers in google images, and Clock Kit 2, but there are no matching pictures of this Meccano screwdriver.

BTW, still have the clock too, all made up. Did try to put it up once when I moved to my current place, but the nail to hand at the time just bent when I tried to hang the clock on it, with its lead-filled weights.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

We call it a university.

I do with the digitals one, mostly it's wire thickness of about 1mm and I f ind the plastic cheapos a bit difficult at those accuracies and see little point in strugling when you can buy a reasonable one for under a £10. Then there's the problem of measuring what the milling machine has done t o PCBs is that 1mm copper still there or has it been milled down to 0.25mm ? I use my micrometer for that which cost about £60.

It's good to use the right tool for the right job well at least be seen to use it.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I'm obviously older! All I ever had with any of my Meccano was these:

Bob Eager

Yup that is what came with my Kit #4 and later expansion pack to kit 5

Reply to
John Rumm

I was given a kit #4 for Christmas. Over the years I bought individual parts to get it up to a #10. And my dad made me some noce partitioned trays to keep it all in.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Not connected, but possibly worth mentioning, meccano have actually started doing some proper general purpose multi model kits again...

Reply to
John Rumm

Do they still make deliberate mistakes in the instructions though, or is that considered too complicated today?

Reply to
Nightjar

Apropo of nothing but, do you know if they still offer a "Dog's Bollix" (Box De-luxe)[1] kit? :-)

[1] Apocryphally, said to be the origin of that expression of 'high quality'.
Reply to
Johny B Good

Kind of - they do a 50 model set which is fairly comprehensive. Not up to the scale of the old big numbered sets, but its certainly bigger than #5

e.g.

or

John Rumm