Which oil fired CH boiler?

Hi I have given up on the back boiler upgrade and am considering oil.

Any advice on a boiler would be appreciated.

I want to integrate the boiler into an existing solid fuel system [4 rads at around eight kW total] The system is at atmospheric pressure and I want to add a couple of extra rads.

I am led to believe the boiler can pong a bit so I was thinking of sticking in the conservatory which is not used much when the weather is cold.

Regards

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

My relatively new boiler does not pong at all inside the house except when it had a fuel leak,.

It does pong outside, and the location I used for the flue - just inside a reveal(?) has proved less than ideal - not a few flameouts in strong winds due to turbulence I suppose.

Next time I'll use a vertical flue I think.

Cant remember what is is, but its a 10KW system boiler, and in ten years its just had a new fuel pump installed.,. Never been serviced otherwise.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for the reply, if you are in a position to have a look at the nameplate, I would like to know the type and who the manufacturer is.

I know nothing about oil fired boilers and although the unit is for a house outside The UK, I would prefer to source a unit with a pedigree from a known UK supplier rather than have a local plumber make the decision.

Regards

HN

Reply to
H. Neary

Rugby half time so it announce itself as a Boulter Camray 5

They don't seem to make the exact model I have any more.

Oh. exporting a boiler?

well make it a system then. All in one with its own pump.

You MAY find that if its on the continent an Italian make will do well, or a German. Both make good boilers.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It shouldn't pong at all unless you spill fuel. Mine smells of hot bat dung in summer but that is because there is a bat roost immediately above it. Someone installed the oil boiler in the loft! (*not* me)

You should at least change the burner jets from time to time and empty the soot out of the vent baffles. Particularly if you tend to have flameouts. That incidentally does surprise me. I have a balanced flue on my boiler and live in a very windy location but I think it has only locked out once for this during hurricane conditions - storm of 1997.

It shouldn't pong much outside either unless you are venting traces of unburnt fuel through incomplete combustion.

Make sure you choose something recognisable in the country where you intend to install it or you could have an interesting time finding someone to service it and getting spare parts when it goes wrong.

My oil boiler has a Danish oil lifter of antediluvian origins that has proved highly entertaining to get serviced at times. Basically most UK oil boiler and heating engineers take one look at it and run away.

Reply to
Martin Brown