Which Mira shower for a combi?

Can someone who knows more about showers than me (not difficult) advise on which Mira shower to get (for our new en suite)?

We are getting a Worcester Bosch Highflow 440 combi boiler. We currently have a Mira Combiforce 415 in one bathroom (been there for 10 years) and it works very well. The easy choice is to just get another

- I'm amazed and impressed to see they still make it!

Alternatively, I'm tempted to go for one that offers control of flow rate. This may prove useful as my wife sometimes complains it comes out too fast!

Problem is that there seems to be such a confusing range of models. Are the differences merely in terms of style, ot are the differences more than skin deep? Can anyone advise or make a recommendation, and alos advise of the cheapest place to buy? Thanks.

Reply to
keiron99

Keiron First of all good choice in boiler type, you should not be disappointed.

As to the shower choice, it is really a case of which style you prefer. You should however opt for a thermostatic mixer, so that the temperature does not vary if boiler demand changes. As well as looking at Mira, I would also strongly suggest Triton for cost whilst still maintaining quality, and also Grohe for shear quality. If you go for a thermostatic mixer shower then just do a final check to ensure that it is suitable for combi... most are. The mira that you have is specifically designed for a combi, but you pay for it and IHMO there is little or no gain... but am willing to be proved wrong by others in the group.

One thing to stay clear of is a multi jet shower since it would require too much demand of the combi especially if another person is using hot water at the same time.

Calum Sabey (NewArk Traditional Kitchens 01556 690544)

Reply to
calums

The 415 has an integral pressure equalizing valve. So when pressure is robbed from, either the hot or cold supply it immediately compensates. It is not thermostatic. It doesn't need to be as the combi delivers a constant water temperature. Thermostatic mixer valves are mainly for cylinders were the water temperature can vary markedly from top to bottom

You can use a thermostatic valve with greater control, but if no integral pressure equalisation valve, some are thermostatic and have an equalisation valve, you can install one just before the mixer valve.

There are. But most is just style. Once you understand the basics you can get around it. Triton do a non-thermostatic combi version with good control of flow.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

Best install a high flowrate multi-point which can cope with a multi-jet shower. The problem with multi-jets is that they require large cylinders due to the high shower flowrates, which are very expensive and take up lots of space, not to mention the weight. A high flow Rinnai or Andrews multi-point water heater, which can be fitted outside the house on the wall, never runs out of hot water, and you can have shower after shower and purchase costs are cheaper than large cylinders, and all that space saved.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

The highflow may be an exception, but these valves have always seemed a bit daft for most combis that don't deliver constant temperature water...

Reply to
John Rumm

Most combis have a temperature controlled outlet.

Reply to
Doctor Drivel

I can't tell you the best option but I have two Mira Excel showers with a WB 440 and they work well.

Mark

Reply to
Mark

Which sets the maximum temperature and not the minimum.

Once the maximum power output of the combi is reached, the temperature will vary in sympathy with flow rate demand.

Reply to
John Rumm