Which is the best pop up ad blocker?

As above. Driving me mad some of these.

Reply to
harry

Choice of ad blocker may be browser dependent. I have Firefox. I used to use Adblock Plus, but switched to uBlock as it was supposed to be quicker and use less space. Can't say I noticed a big difference, they both work. Some web sites won't load if you have an ad blocker running, but they're few and far between IME.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

En el artículo , Chris Hogg escribió:

uBlock + Ghostery + someonewhocares.org hosts file = No ads. No malware. Bliss.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Yes, I also use Ghostery. Don't know about someonewhocares.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I do finde the U block ones faster here. They also do not have that default let through thing that Add block has. I do not like the way they make money by taking it from advertisers to get them on the white list. This is blackmail.

There are also some ad block detection stoppers around appparently, and its all getting very silly. If adverts were handled as they used to be as part of the web site and not injected from who kows where and take up loads of space and are disruptiive then who worries.

Its the ridiulous over the top adverts we do not want. In my case as a blind user, not only do they cause annoyance but can in fact render a web site inaccessible without an ad blocker. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

En el artículo , Brian Gaff escribió:

Then we'll just install ad-block detection stopper blockers. Or just not use that website, which deprives them of the ad revenue anyway. Sorted. :)

Yes. I have zero sympathy for the advertisers though.

If they think shoving intrusive jumping, blinking, auto-playing video at top volume, pop-up, pop-under, screen-greying-out, malware-foisting, Flash-laden, bandwidth-slurping, misleading crap in my face is going to make me more likely to buy their s**te, they're badly mistaken.

They're solely responsible for the situation they find themselves in now. Boo hoo.

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

You're usually good at using "OT" but not this time. :-)

Reply to
pamela

Same here. Should I care, what do they block?

Reply to
Davey

Fundamentally te attempts tio screw miney out of me with in yer face carp means I have stopped reading the DT.

Even as a view on what te Tory party propaganda machine is up to, its not worth it

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

En el artículo , Davey escribió:

Just about every ad-flinger, tracker and malware site out there, plus some. Frequently updated.

Mike Tomlinson

The subject line was pretty helpful, and I suspect that most of us use the web a lot, so not *really* off topic.

Much as it might damage my street cred to agree with harry about something.

Reply to
newshound

I think 'OT' is his newsreaders default setting these days. ;-(

Shirley there must be a better forum for much of his political 'stuff' than one aimed at d-i-y or maybe he pollutes others as well?

I preferred the old days when OT's were few and far between and even then, they generally were on things people were trying to do themselves?

Ooops, my bad, harry is trying to convince (tell) everyone to vote out (pretty well), all by himself.

As a countermeasure to harry, anyone who has asked me for my opinion on the in / out thing I've recommended 'in' (even though I have no feeling either way). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Aside from anything else, I am pretty sure I don't want to be on the same side as harry. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Harry doesn't even know what side he is on. He is all for brexit, but the quickest way his solar panels will become junk is if we leave the EU.

I suspect he is really for 'remain' and has been told to act like a racist islamophobe to make brexiteers look bad.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Hehe.

'I refuse to join any club that would have harry as a member ...'.

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

That was pretty much what went through my mind. :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Just another utterly silly conspiracy theory.

Harry is clearly a rabid bigot and that's why he wants out of the EU and he's too stupid to even realise what might happen to his panels.

Reply to
Slomo

+2 (with a touch of Voltaire)
Reply to
newshound

Unfortunately not to my filters!

Should we discuss the price of milk as if it was on-topic because most of us drink it? :-)

Aha! So back me up!

Reply to
pamela

When I filter out the OT threads it removes large chunks of this group, so I guess there must be a lot of off-topic stuff here.

Reply to
pamela