Which Glue for glass on metal?

Hi Will,

I know the part you mean.

When gluing my window catch I cleaned the glass with a scalpel and finished up with whatever nasty residue-free solvent I had to hand. Regarding the metal half of the equation; are your sure that it is painted rather than anodized? If painted I would suggest gentle cleaning down to the aluminium with fine emery cloth. I'm not sure that removing the paint will guarantee a better bond but it might give it better chance.

Let me know how you get on.

Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

Thanks for your reply. What I'm hoping to stick is slightly unusual- the small glass sheet that goes over the microfiche slide on a microfiche reader to the black painted aluminium(I think) hinge that makes the sheet pop up to allow you to put the microfiche slide in when you pull the slider out. Will sticking the glass to painted metal be any different to sticking it to bare metal? I'm not sure what sort of paint it is but I think it is standard one used on aluminium parts for microfiches/microscopes etc.

Cheers,

WillHi Will,

I know the part you mean.

When gluing my window catch I cleaned the glass with a scalpel and finished up with whatever nasty residue-free solvent I had to hand. Regarding the metal half of the equation; are your sure that it is painted rather than anodized? If painted I would suggest gentle cleaning down to the aluminium with fine emery cloth. I'm not sure that removing the paint will guarantee a better bond but it might give it better chance.

Let me know how you get on.

Richard

Hey Richard, thanks for your reply. I'm not sure if the metal is anodized- does this give a matt black effect? I can see that a small nick off it has stuck to the glass so maybe it's paint? A friend has suggested using araldite on it- do you think that would work??

Cheers,

Will

Reply to
W Johnson

[...]

Er, it can give many wierd an wonderful finishes (just look closely at a 'tarted' up motorbike) but I'm not sure about matt and it doesn't chip so you're probably onto a safe bet in thinking that it is paint

Araldite would probably work as well - IIRC it claims to be able to stick to glass. I'm not sure how it's performance would compare with an adhesive as specific in it's purpose as Glassbond. I guess that you pays yer money etc. But it boils down to scrupulous cleaning and removal of anything loose on the metal.

Cheers Richard

Reply to
Richard Savage

W Johnson writes

I cracked my car windscreen that way, putting the mirror back with ordinary Araldite. Which is what I would try first for your task. And hope that the dimensions being smaller, no cracking occurs.

Reply to
roger