Which glue?

Hi All

I need to stick down some 9mm ply onto a screed floor. Faced with a large choice of adhesives (in the Screwfix cat), which one would work well? Lots of tubes of gripfill, or a tub of PVA, or ? Ply area = 14m2. Ta.

Reply to
Grumps

I'd probably use a flexible tile cement.

Treat the ply as a bloody great tile.

Or screw it down.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

IIRC you have an SDS drill. Drill and plug each sheet with 2 or 3 inch and an half 8's. Then drill the lot at 400 or 600 centres, lift the sheets and sweep the dust away. Fit the plugs and drop the sheets to screw them down.

It won't take long if you pre drill and countersink the ply and just hammer the screws home. You will be able to remove them one day should you ever need to.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Thanks. The screed was laid using a 'dry mix', so I guess it's quite easy to drill. As the ply will be covered with vinyl tiles (yes, I know you can fix these direct to the screed), I don't think the floor will ever come up again.

Reply to
Grumps

Why are you tiling onto ply, then? It seems a waste of time and money, and is likely to give a far poorer result!

Reply to
Chris Bacon

I don't see why it should be a poorer result, but maybe you're right. The level of the screed needs to be raised by about 10mm. Ply seemed to be a simple method, and may make the floor warmer under foot. What else could I use? A self leveling compound, about 140 litres.

Reply to
Grumps

You can add aggregate to reduce cost/improve the screed,

be useful (table on p.10).

With ply, you'll have joins... these IME will show through in short order. There's the "damp question", too...

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Again, thanks. I've just read that I need a smoothing underlayment of at least 3mm on top of the screed before the vinyl tiles can be laid (unless they're laid on ply). I'll have a look at that ardex pdf too.

Reply to
Grumps