Which flooring?

Hi

I need a floorcovering for a concrete workshop floor that wet concrete wont stick to, and thats safe to walk on when wet. Appearance doesnt matter. Low cost would also be nice! I dont know what to look at though.

cheers, NT

Reply to
NT

This stuff is used a lot in light industrial premises. About £9 sm IIRC. Can't vouch for the slipperiness when wet though.

Stuart Noble

How about quarry tiles?

Reply to
Bruce

Vinyl flooring seems to fit the requirements you state - off cuts would probably be pretty cheap.

However you may not have fully stated your requirements - e.g. for impact resistance, scuff resistance, heat/fire resistance.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Right. I'm going to be doing a lot of concrete work, it'll be wet a lot, it'll see hard use, and I want to be able to remove it as cleanly as possible once its knackered. Vinyl sounds good, the only question mark is would it survive handling lumps of concrete. But I dont know anything nearer the mark, unless there's some sort of paint that wet concrete would fail to stick to. That would probably be the ideal.

thanks, NT

Reply to
NT

One of the two part epoxy garage/workshop floor treatments would probably do nicely. They are quite pricey though.

Reply to
John Rumm

This stuff is tough as old boots, non slip, but not cheap

The Medway Handyman

is going to be a temporary floorcover, I dont really want to spend big money.

NT

Reply to
NT

Thanks, that sounds good.

I wondered earlier about a cheaper option, to lay a layer of lining paper down with just a few dots of glue, then lay a screed onto it with lots of fibre content. The idea being to rip the lot off once the project's done. Its cheap, but might break up in use. I much prefer the epoxy option.

Thank you

NT

Reply to
NT

In fact I think you can thank the dearly departed Mr. Hall... IIRC, ah yes, try:

John Rumm

sticking - does it though? It doesnt matter that it only lasts so long.

cheers, NT

Reply to
NT

I would guess a smooth surface is part of what you need. Concrete is not that strong if its not allowed to hydrate properly - so if dries out quickly, and you don't have a surface it can key to, then it should be relatively easy to crumble and remove.

You could always do a test patch and see what works.

Reply to
John Rumm

NT wibbled on Friday 12 February 2010 01:45

In that case, how about cheap vinyl floor covering? Should take a bit of abuse and will be waterproof.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Are you going to mass produce garden gnomes?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Ha! Not guilty m'lud.

NT

Reply to
NT

Guess I'll have to.

I know I can just sweep the snots up. But IRL there will be times bits get missed, or times the lot will get missed, that's what I need to guard against.

cheers, NT

Reply to
NT