Which Floor tile adhesive?

Polystyrene not waterproof either....

Jim K

Reply to
JimK

More usually a concrete raft.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I had tiles on chip once. They were fine for 15 years, then all went t-ts u p as water penetrated hairline cracks in the grout and the chipboard expand ed. I repaired it twice then gave up on it - its an awkward repair scraping the chip down without debonding more tiles.

Tiles done properly should last a lifetime.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

the key is to prep properly first. The FIRST tiles I laid on that floor were too thin and not enough cement and poorly grouted and a leaking loo did n fact cause the chip to bubble. I ripped em up, laid the new ones carefully with tiles up the wall as well and some silicone at the wall/edge junction FIRST so that if it did crack there there was still a seal..

It has survived my wife leaving the bath running and totally flooding the bathroom,landing carpet, the hall and utility room underneath and destroying a smoke alarm (must replace that) and tripping the entire house.

That chip will take a soaking, just not a persistent leak.

I had one of those too - but it wasn't direct ON the tiles. It was under the basin in a cupboard..

they survived that, too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ts up as water penetrated hairline cracks in the grout and the chipboard ex panded. I repaired it twice then gave up on it - its an awkward repair scra ping the chip down without debonding more tiles.

that's not the key at all. Chip flexes, its inevitable. Flexing a rock hard ceramic layer even the tiniest bit cant help but form microcracks, its jus t a question of when. Then water penetration if in a wet area is inevitable , and all grades of chip go the same way when wetted.

If you want a quick job to sell a house, it'll do. If you want the tiles to last for life, tile on chip hasnt a prayer, if it encounters anything wett er than a squeezed out cloth.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Whilst not necessarily disagreeing, I recently tried soaking green chipboard for several days and 'twas totally unaffected. Based on that experiment it's hard to believe that there is a problem with casual and occasional wetting of green chipboard.

Reply to
Biggles

my experience shows you are talking out of your arse

even concrete floors flex. The key is that ceramic tiles too can flex and so can THIK beds of adhesive.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There isn't, but persistent soaking especially from a cut edge will cause it to bubble,. The good news is it shrinks back once dry.

Some of the comments on here remind me of the 'plumber' who installed my hot water tank.

"What type is it?" "Mains pressure" "Oh OK so no header?" "no" "where's it going?" "IN the loft"

Nods sagely...

"Good idea, you will get a faster flow from up there" "On a MAINS PRESSURE TANK!!!"!?" "Yeah mate".

Then there was the case of the Underfloor heating. I spent several weeks with a heating engineer checking over the calcs and making sure it all was according to spec,. we laid it and still the carpenters said "its all right for background, but you should have some radiators. It won't heat the whole room you know "

Well after it was screeded we finally got the boiler in, and without a thermostat I let it run flat out all night.

The next morning "Jesus, its stuffy in here, what have you been doing?" "testing the underfloor heating...."

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

+1
Reply to
stuart noble

t-ts up as water penetrated hairline cracks in the grout and the chipboard expanded. I repaired it twice then gave up on it - its an awkward repair sc raping the chip down without debonding more tiles.

hard ceramic layer even the tiniest bit cant help but form microcracks, its just a question of when. Then water penetration if in a wet area is inevit able, and all grades of chip go the same way when wetted.

s to last for life, tile on chip hasnt a prayer, if it encounters anything wetter than a squeezed out cloth.

well, it is my experience, ie reported observed facts

concrete floors flex far less. I dont think we need argue there

NT

Reply to
meow2222