"Which?" Book of Wiring and Lighting - Out Of Print Everywhere

A lot of people quote this book as really useful. I use this groups archive together with a copy of the On-Site Guide and get on just fine.

However I would like a copy of this and Amazon reviews back up its good standing. If it's so good why is it out of print?

Anyone have any insider info? Is it just being updated for the harmonised wiring schemes?

Cheers.

Reply to
EC

It's always been quite hard to get - I gave Which Books a ring and they found some lying around. You could see if there are any second-hand copies on amazon/ebay/abebooks maybe?

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

I could do but I really like that crisp, new, first-to-get-me-hands-on-it feel that a new book has.

Im guessing they must be updating it, why take a good seller of the shelves?

Reply to
EC

I bought a copy through their website just two/three weeks ago. I'm wiring a new kitchen and the level of detail, for me, was just about right. I'd thoroughly recommend it.

There's a insert at the front which I think is about Part P and I can't recall what it said about the harmonised wiring colours. I guess it could be getting reprinted.

Or a more sinister/tongue in cheek note, perhaps they feel that with Part P in force they can't give out some of the advice to DIYers that they did prevoiusly and are quietly withdrawing it, or only selling it to those of us lucky enough to live north of the border.

Order it and see what happens, dunno if it's dearer than on Amazon but at least all the profits are going to the publishers (Which)

urchaidh

OK, cheers will give it a shot.

Reply to
EC

Excellent, just ordered a copy :).

All the other online bookshops and high streets can't get it?

Reply to
EC

In message , EC writes

According to Bookbrain it's listed as being reprinted. seeing as the cable colours are changing and the introduction of Part P it'd be surprise if they didn't

I guess the Which shop has just got the remaining stock.

Reply to
chris French

bodies consulted about Part P. I would be interested to know what they said on behalf of "Which" subscribers like myself. I suspect they encouraged it.

James

Reply to
James

They would have said whatever they were paid to. As they always do.

Reply to
Huge

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Good Lord. You don't actually *trust* "Which", do you?

Reply to
Huge

I've no reason to suppose Which reports are fraudulent. Do you?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

More so than mags which take advertising. And in general, for things I don't much care about, like domestic appliances, etc. They're aimed at the middle ground - not the enthusiast. Hence enthusiasts always disagree with them if their favourite camera etc isn't chosen as a best buy. But then enthusiasts will disagree among themselves about this too.

I can't remember them having a view on Part P, though. But they've certainly campaigned for and succeeded in getting some worthwhile consumer protection legislation.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

I stopped reading it over 20 years ago, when they said that the Mini Metro gearbox was weak because when they engaged first gear at maximum revs without depressing the clutch, it broke.

If you want to waste your money on the ravings of morons, you go right ahead, but Which isn't even fit for arsewipe these days, since they stopped using absorbent paper.

Reply to
Huge

That's not the issue. It's more that, for products that I do know something about, the advice in 'Which?' often looks superficial, dubious or downright misleading. This doesn't inspire confidence in their advice about things I *don't* know much about.

Another example was the recent review of cordless drills, which the 'Best Buy' selection failed to make the obvious distinctions between the different levels of performance you might need, and the price you should therefore expect to pay.

Reply to
Ian White

But were they miles out in their recommendations? Thing is it's unlikely you've tested them all personally, so go by make only. And this isn't such a good idea, - apart at perhaps the very top end.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Think you may have embroidered this somewhat?

The A Series BL gearbox wasn't a strong unit as it originated from the '40s Austin A30 with 28 BHP. As of course did the engine - but there's more room to strengthen that than a gearbox. They used the Triumph equivalent where they could easily - like the RWD Marina etc. Re-engineering for a gearbox in sump unit like the early Metro - basically the same as the Mini - would have been very costly. And they simply didn't have the money. Later Metros with the K Series engine used bought in

5-speed gearboxes, and not in the sump. Racing Minis used special boxes where the gear clusters were replaced with straight cut gears - noisy but more robust.
Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Well, it was the issue I was raising. The poster claimed that Which produced fraudulent reports in return for payment.

That is completely different from saying that you do not agree with some, or even all, of their reports.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Not unless my mind is going, Dave. I can't feel it.

Reply to
Huge

You're welcome to split as many hairs as you like on your own time. 'Which' is demonstrably s**te. They are widely rumoured to be corrupt as well. I wouldn't wipe my arse with their opinions.

Reply to
Huge