Which adhesive for (polypropelene?) 2-stroke fuel tank?

Not unless it containsn nitromethane or acetone.

However CA comes in polythene bottles and its easy to break the dried stuff away from it.

I have also used "liquid metal" to bond to polythene...it doesn't really stick properly, but roughed up a bit first and forming a large fillet, it ain't bad.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

It won't. There is a Henkel / Loctite which will stick polyolefins when used with a primer (Google). Although personally I would go down the "nsert with a flange inside"route.

Reply to
Newshound

Thanks for the idea. That's something I hadn't thought of. Good idea for "plan B" if the superglue fails.

Al D

Reply to
Al Deveron

I'm not sure what superglue contains apart from cynoacrylate...

I don't really know which plastic the petcock and the fuel tank are made of. Anyway, the superglue made teh two stick together like s*** to a blanket. Touch wood, my problems are solved!

Cheers,

Al D

Reply to
Al Deveron

If it is PP and superglue comes unstuck, have a look at this guide:

It recommends Loctite 770 as an activator, which *appears to be* basically n-heptane:

Some superglue activators use it so it might be worth trying one out on something made of PP, eg some ice cream tubs.

Another approach...

If the tap and tank *are* the same plastic and will soften and melt with heat, another way to go could be to wind a coil of resistance wire round the tap, put it in the tank and put a current through the wire so it heats up and fuses the tap to the tank well. Once the plastic is melted twisting the tap a little back and forth may help this.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Not a hope of gluing it, or of hot welding it.

Your best option is a screwed, flanged connector with a large flange on each side and a wipe of petrol-proof elastic sealing compound on either side (Oyltite is probably the best).

Or else replace it with a new tank, from a different engine if needs be.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Loctite Plastix is supposed to bond all plastics. I tried it on a very small part, but that didn't work. It might be OK on a relatively large item. Of course, 100% cleanliness is a must.

Sylvain.

Reply to
Sylvain VAN DER WALDE

Try

Donwill

The message from Pete C contains these words:

They're the ones with PP underneath the triangle with a 5 in it.

Reply to
Guy King

But if it bursts into flames while you're bobbing up and down on the high seas, wouldn't that be a trifle inconvenient?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Thanks. Yes, I agree that cleaning is essential. I cleaned the two surfaces very thoroughly with alcohol before I tried the superglue, and so far the joint seems very strong indeed. I now suspect the tank was some other plastic (not polypropylene).

Al D

Reply to
Al Deveron

Al D