Where to put a new master phone socket

I see from the photo that it is a genuine BT box.

Not exactly standard as most people don't have a media cupboard, but not a bad place to hide it, I have my router in a cupboard with all the other IT clutter, generally no need to see the blinkenlights.

Shouldn't be, DSL signals start well above audio frequencies.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for that, and the other points. I'm fine with putting the router in the media cupboard - the PlusNet model doesn't so much blink as glare: it has a huge and fierce blue light right across its face which I'd be happy to hide - but it does occur to me that I'll need a direct cable from the new master socket to the phone, which the current wiring doesn't include. Unless the builder has some other idea.

Reply to
Bert Coules

dennis@home.?.invalid posted

So why is the base plate filtered?

Reply to
Big Les Wade

to keep the adsl signal out of the phone.

Reply to
charles

WEll dennis is as per usual spouting stuff he doesn't understand. Actually there is NO filtering in the ADSL modem to speak of.

Not in the senses of passive components, anyway.

ALL the filtering is to stop phone kit shorting out the HF ADSL signals.

That's why its on the face plate. Its to block ADSL frequencies FROM the phones getting to the modem and to stop the phones shorting the ADSL

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

To keep the phone out of the ADSL

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

charles explained :

That is the official situation, but in practise and so long as a decent job is made of it - the engineers will not care at all.

We have an overhead line, which used to run down the outside wall and was constantly coming adrift from the wall, numerous noisy connections. On there last many years ago, I offered to help them get the cable straight into the loft and a master socket just inside the loft - to avoid the untidy run being down our outside wall. He was more than happy to accomodate me doing that if I did the work inside.

I then ran everything else, router + 10 sockets inside and hidden from view. That was long before wireless phones came on the market and most of my sockets are now redundant. There have been no issues since then, apart from on the exchange line. I didn't mention I used to work for the GPO on telecomms, back in the Strowager days.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

didn't you have your PO No 2 screwdriver in your pocket?

Reply to
charles

It is only filtered on the phone side, thats the idea of the face plate rather than lots of microfilters.

To stop the phones from altering the line and causing the modem to retrain as stated in the post.

Reply to
dennis

Balls. The modem uses DSPs to do all the filtering it needs.

Reply to
dennis

Perhaps they have relaxed rules - but used to be it had to be as near to point of entry as possible - they didn't want to be responsible for cable within premise. Easy to have a point of entry demarc location everything downstream is them not their problem. I built ducting into my foundations and a BT duct comes up inside my comms cupboard ..... so not an issue for me. Other than fact have had comments for not using their master sockets, use my own purchased ones with built in filter and split out data & voice connections, so don't have to use front panel or BT filter - for easier connection.

Reply to
rick

Is Strowager any relation of Strowger, who designed the electromechanical exchange switches? :P

Andy

Reply to
Vir Campestris

I saw one once installed behind the bowl of a toilet. I bet that got piss poor bandwidth.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I will second that. Having a faulty line for over a year, I eventually got Tiscali to send an engineer. I was very concerned that my none BT box and very clean wiring, routed back to the junction point, was noticed.

I showed the engineer some captures of the constant internet (only) signal drops. He looked at the box and line. He took the cover off the box. He said, 'nothing wrong in here. He did the same for the junction box. He then said he is having 30 minutes dinner and then will inspect the street cabinet.

He later explained a cable had become stretched, that he has eased pressure on it but, it may happen again. (?)

Some months later, It did. I cannot remember and the same guy phoned me and said he is getting on with putting a new piece of wire in the cabinet. He did; job done, no problems since.

You take your chances with who visits you.

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

Which, as TNP hinted, is where the cup of tea and bun come into play. :-)

...Ray.

Reply to
RayL12

My Virgin one has two joins, one in a box on the wall outside and one on my window sill inside the house, then the master socket is on the skirting board. The guy who came to fis it a few weeks back said he was glad it had a box not a master socket as it made changing the offending bit, between the box and the outside box a lot easier. The original instalation had rather perversely been put under my stainless steel step plate in the porch and over time the flexing had basically chaffed away the insulation. The new wire runs above the door. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Brian, that's very interesting, thank you. I'll put that point to the builder's electrician.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules