Where to put a new master phone socket

Only if there is something *seriously* wrong with the house phone wiring.

The bell wire hack is good for upto a +50% improvement on an old installation but that is nothing to do with the socket position and everything to do with not having a long aerial flapping in the breeze.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gowanhill.com writes

We have the master socket in a corner with no possible nearby power, a BT provided extension to under the stairs where mains feeds the cordless phone system, then a home-provided extension upstairs to my "office", where the current ADSL filter sits and feeds the router and other phone. My extension cable was originally cable suitable for and put in for ISDN, and I can't remember what it was or access it easily for a look. Current ADSL download speed is 15Mbps.

Phone calls crackle a bit when it rains. I accosted an Openreach man parked next door a couple of days ago. He was very friendly and helpful, but was there only to check the pole for climbing safety, and said any crackling would almost certainly be an underground problem.

I change from Demon ADSL to Plusnet fttc next Thursday. I asked Plusnet about the cost of moving the master socket to either under the stairs or to the office and was told ?160, but they also said to try it first with the existing cabling to see what speeds I got before spending anything.

Reply to
Bill

Often on long internal runs removing the bell wire can help.

Probably the better option is a filtered master socket where the phone line and your broadband are split at the master and then use cat5/5e cable for the broadband extension.

alan_m

+300baud
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

There is a lot of rubbish about moving phone sockets and stuff.

The basics are..

you want a filtered base plate as the first thing on the line.

from there you run an unfiltered wire to the router and a filtered wire to all the phones.

It isn't going to make a lot of difference how long the wires are in the average house.

The BT face plate has two sockets on the front the filtered phone socket and the unfiltered DSL socket but it also has connections for wires at the rear so you can run a wire for either to a remote location without having to plug anything in to the front.

Use a proper twisted cable for the extensions and you will be fine.

The theory is ..

the modem in the router does all the filtering for the DSL side of the system so it needs an unfiltered line.

the phones should reject the "noise" from the DSL signal so will work on an unfiltered line unless they are cr@p.

You need the filter on the phone side to stop the line characteristics changing when you pick the phones up or when the exchange applies ringing or test network equipment. If you don't have the phone filter the modem will retrain and you lose the connection for a bit.

Reply to
dennis

Spider work maybe. The original input fed 4 telephone points. One of which was connected to the router. Max speed 5 to 8Meg. There was no master socket.

Following the recent nearby lightning strike, Open Reach fitted a master socket at the input point. When I whinged about line speeds he volunteered to move the master to where the router is connected. This allowed the disposal of filters recommended by my provider.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Star!

Reply to
Tim Lamb

I imagine that chased into the walls is the plan but I'll check with the builders as to exactly what they're planning. Thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Many thanks for that.

Reply to
Bert Coules

OK Ta.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

As others have said, either arrangement will work perfectly well.

But what is their rationale for wanting to change it?

Reply to
Roger Mills

I have no idea. I'm seeing the owner of the company on Monday and will try to find out then.

Reply to
Bert Coules

If you get an engineer install of FTTC, the new "MK3" faceplates for the NTE5 include IDC connections to allow a DSL extension as well as POTS extensions. I hear talk of an even newer "NTE5C"

Reply to
Andy Burns

BT prefer to terminate direct onto master socket, and as long as this is within a metre or so of point of entry they will do that. Further than that they will charge.

Any joint can result in degradation of signal - however you are unlikely to notice this.

If where you want master socket is a long way form point of entry they would normally terminate in a box and then run cable to the master socket.

As someone mentioned this would be in a 'lozenge' shaped box

Anything before the master socket, including the terminal box, is the property of Openreach. Legally only they can work on this. However records are not up to date - you could move and as long as it is done with correct terminations, unlikely to ever be queried.

The recommend answer if asked was to say your guy moved it for me ....... no engineer is going to drop his mate in it.

However if not correctly terminated and incorrect cable - then you will be charged in the event of a fault.

Reply to
rick

Just back from the site where I discovered that things have happened in my absence: the builders have chased in a trunking run up to above the ceiling line and installed (though not connected) a single run of Cat 5 from the existing front-wall junction box to what will become an AV equipment cupboard. A second Cat 5 run goes from there to the desk area.

Are they anticipating my putting the router into the AV cupboard, perhaps? Would that be the standard thing to do?

If so (and even if not) I can see the value of a second cable direct from the junction box to the desk, for the phone.

They've used one stretch of the same trunking to run some speaker cable - any problems with that arrangement?

Picture of the junction box at

or

Bert Coules

True. I don't know about the OP, but I haven't got £130 to spend on a simple job that I can do myself for next to nothing in half an hour.

Reply to
Graham.

When I went over to FTTC OR engineer moved my master socket to the other end of the house f-o-c. ISTR the limit was about 15 meters BICBW.

Reply to
bert

They id it f-o-c for me - exactly the same scenario. There is a cable length limit (15 metres?)

Reply to
bert

Your ISP paid for the engineer install with optional socket move, there is also a no-move engineer option, and a no-engineer option.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Thanks for that. Just back from the site where I discovered that things have happened in my absence: the builders have chased in a trunking run up to above the ceiling line and installed (though not connected) a single run of Cat 5 from the existing front-wall junction box to what will become an AV equipment cupboard. A second Cat 5 run goes from there to the desk area.