Where to host a small business web site

I would like to put a 2-3 page website on the WWW for a small business. I do not wish to use my current ISP as I will probably move on from them next year. Can anyone reccomend a hosting company .. cost etc .. .. I will design the site myself and promise not to use MS Frontpage ;-) Dreamweaver or by hand .. depending on how much time I have.

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

I use freeola.com for the church website

have been very good with support, uptime, etc.. Not sure if they support commercial stuff, but I see no reason why not.

I use Joomla! for the website software, which needs a Unix Server with MySQL, PHP and Apache. Quite easy, lots of good extensions. I also use it for the other 5 websites that I run on my ISP's system.

R.

Reply to
TheOldFellow

Google sites?

There's quite a lot of functionality as you can integrate Calendar, Google Docs, RSS Feeds, etc into the pages very easily.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Mike :

I use Zen internet for a couple of sites. Recommended.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

We use Webfusion.Only because they swallowed Magic Moments our original host but they`re quite good.Under =A350 p.a. IIRC. Mark.

Reply to
mark

Over in uk.adverts.computer there's a regular called Alex Threlfall who runs a small hosting outfit - seems very friendly and quick to respond to technical queries, has a good reputation. The site is

Steve Walker

Ditto. Unless they are your ISP as well (not in my case) you'll need to use their 0845 dial in number, but loading pages is very straightforward with FileZilla.

Reply to
OG

I use Namehog. Very good support, speak to real people by name etc.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Used them for a while, but moved on, can't remember why now though.

Currently use eUKhost, costs £29.99 inc VAT for the basic plan (200 MB space, 2GB bandwidth/month)

It's been very reliable. When I did need to contact support a couple of times I used the chat system they provide and the issues were sorted in no time.

Reply to
chris French

Thanks for all the information .. will compare tomorrow. My only requirement I would like to cover is pop3 for email .. as I use Eudora

Mike P

Reply to
Mike

I'd be surprised if there were many (any?) hosting companies that don't provide POP3 email

Reply to
chris French

If your domain name supplier doesn't supply a POP3 box then you can use POP3 or IMAP with Googlemail

Owain

I use, and would recommend

they provided pop3 (and SMTP) mail, are cheap, and reliable.

Toby...

Reply to
Toby

chris French wibbled on Tuesday 22 December 2009 22:43

I thought Eudora could do IMAP by now?

Reply to
Tim W

Web hosting and POP3 email are different services and there's no reason why they should both be provided by the same company.

Reply to
Bernard Peek

I use one and one for three web sites. Their cheapest one is 1.99 a month. If you hit the right moment you might get the first year free. They will also host your domain name(s). Very easy and efficient and can't be beaten at the price. There also an upgrade path if the site devlops and needs more sophisticated hosting. I use Zen as my ISP but they charge quite a lot to store the domain name.

Peter Scott

Reply to
Peter Scott

No indeed there isn't.

But generally POP is offered as part of the hosting package. Certainly with the sorts of packages the OP would be looking at

Reply to
chris French

Oh the certainly can!

is FAR cheaper!

5GB of space with unlimited traffic is £0.90 per month with one.com 1&1 is £4.99 a month for the same sort of package

Even their cheapest offer if £1.99 per month for 250 MB is more than double the cost!

Toby.. (not affiliated, just a happy customer)

Reply to
Toby

I had a web site for a small business ( now closed ) some years ago.

I used

after searching around. ( You don't have to be a student - but their prices would allow that - they have several packages ).

Checked tonight that it still existed and it does. I WOULD definitely use them again if I had a use for an, outsourced, web site.

The service was *excellent* and the price good. Email response to enquiries or problems was super fast from a man in St Annes Lancs ( may have changed ). Even late at night - I used to think when does this man sleep..

I have no connection etc.

During the time they hosted my site they upgraded to a server farm in ( I think it was ) Texas. A few minor glitches during upgrade were addressed quickly and frequent emails were sent.

Well worth a look.

Reply to
tom33

I host 3, on a very old PC, here,. by my knee. On my broadband link.

Its plenty fast enough.the data is as secure as my house is and I KNOW its getting backed up.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher