Where to get Long Sellotape Cutting Blade...?

I was interested in purchasing a dispensing device for holding and cutting a roll of bubble wrap in, but found they were quite expensive. So I put together a basic wooden dispenser box out of a few scrap planks of chipboard.

You know the type of pointy tooth blade which is in a sellotape dispenser, well I thought if I was able to find something similar which is the height of a roll of bubble wrap (about 1m) then I could attach this to the box to make it easy to cut the bubble wrap, instead of having to cut the bubble wrap with scissors.

Would anyone know where I could get a sellotape cutting style blade which is about 1m long? Other than buying lots of selloptape dispensers and taking the small blades out of them, which would probably be quite expensive...!

Thanks...!!

Reply to
michael2003_2003

You could use two or three cutting edges from boxes of aluminium kitchen foil.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

A 5 pack of cheap carbon steel hacksaw blades? 12" long with little holes in the end to screw them on with? About £3?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Genius...! Why didn't I think of that...!

Reply to
michael2003_2003

Make a guillotine out of two sides of thin plywood, the blade can be a piece of aluminium sharpened on a bench grinder.

The aluminium slides down between the plywood sides and chops the bubble wrap.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

A short length of bandsaw blade, or a cheap sawblade for a bow saw should work well.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Thanks - could try that too

Reply to
michael2003_2003

You hit the nail on the head... A hand,compound mitre saw blade

Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Angle grinder

Reply to
Vass

Unfortunately, I've found that these bend too easily, and almost make their intended purpose worthwhile. More force, and thicker stuff (bubblewrap) and it'll lead to tears before bedtime.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

On (some) boxes of cling-film/aluminium wrap.

Reply to
John Cartmell

Bandsaw blade.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Band saw blade - cut to length, sharpen with angle grinder, fix to batten or something. I'll send you an old one (3\4") if you email me etc

Reply to
owdman

Cellulose Sellotape is a different type of material to polythene bubble wrap. Poly stretches, and its far thicker, and I dont think would be as well suited to a serrated cutting strip. I might try a nice sharp knife blade mounted so it slides along slicing it, some type of guillotine. OTOH maybe someone else has actually done it and really knows.

A 1m hot wire might work well too, with some kind of lightweight clamping mecha.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

We had one where I used to work, it was for the film you use with the hot expanding foam system type thingie. The teeth were pretty big and nice and sharp. :-(

If the bandsaw blades are no good I'd try a pack of trade handsaws from Screwfix and break the handles off and then sandwich them before two bits of wood. :-)

Mark S.

Reply to
Mark S.

gardener's bush-saw blade?

Reply to
Steve Walker

If all these fail, you could train in the ways of the Samurai to the level Master and then use a samurai sword.

Hope that helps :)

Arthur

Reply to
Davao

These are my thoughts as well. I'd just use a board as guide for the semi-open scissors to slide against. Get the opening right with scissors and you don't need to operate them they just slide through stuff from paper to cloth to poly sheet...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

You're right, the blade idea doesn't work.

The bubble wrap is just too stretchy and doesn't break off cleanly like sellotape does...

Reply to
michael2003_2003