Where to get an electric saw

Hi All,

Can anyone suggest where I can get an electric saw similar to this,

I've used it a number of times for trimming back some vigourous shrubs and small trees where the hedgetrimmer can't cope but am getting fed up with shelling out £50 each time. I've Googled it a few times but nothing similar come up - any suggestions?

Thanks.

Reply to
Endulini

'Mike'

> -- Thanks, but that's a chainsaw, I've been warned off chainsaws for the the real leafy stuff..........

Reply to
Endulini

As I have said before, I have been very pleased indeed with one of these:

(better deals on eBay).

This is very good for shrubs and trimming small trees; the practical limit is about 2.5 inches. It is actually light enough to use with one hand; although this is deprecated, this plus the absence of a trailing wire mean it copes well in tight spaces.

Reply to
newshound

just might not be as quick. Or just buy a box saw...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Use a normal handsaw?

Reply to
Phil L

Box saw? WTF did that come from. Bow saw...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Endulini writes

Try searching for alligator saws, that's certainly the name DeWalt use for them. The B&D seem to have something similar under the scorpion saw name.

Reply to
fred

John Rumm

suggestions?

If Googling look for Alligator saw. There's a very similar looking DeWalt saw for £200ish.

Steve Firth

No, as they're horrible things.

Far better is the Black & Decker Alligator chainsaw. This isn't the usual chainsaw, it's a scissor arrangement that makes it safer than either a normal chainsaw or a reciprocating saw. Although it does limit it to 4" or less. They do mains or cordless, but I've not tried the cordless. It's my main saw for pruning, bucking and firewood (If I'm near power). I'm also chainsaw ticketed, but I don't use one if I can avoid it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I thought they were the usual B&D gimmicky rubbish when they first came out. but for pruning they are safe, quiet and very easy to use (1) i have the cordless type, (1) when compared with the one handed chainsaw which it replaces for most jobs.

-
Reply to
Mark

Same here. Dad bought one. He then dismantled it and lost the bits (you know how they are when they get to that age). Fortunately I bothered to re-instate it (new drive sprocket, the rest I machined up) and found that it was actually really good.

Agreed.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

"Endulini" wrote

Is this what you want.....

are a number there from different manufacturers, Hitachi and Makita are normally excellent tools.

Reply to
Bob Hobden

I bought something similar as a present for SWMBO's 60th birthday.

She loves it. It's been really useful for lopping the council's 'hedge' that grows over our back fence - in reality they have up to 3" branches.

Terry Fields

Reply to
Terry Fields