Where to get a simple 100ml plastic syringe

I would like to inject some PVA bonding into holes drilled into old plaster that has become "unfastened" from the wall; it's still on tbe wall but tapping it with the fingers gives that hollow sound. It seems like a worthwhile idea to see if by this injection the plaster can become solidly stuck back to the wall, before calling in the plasterer.
Trouble is I can't find any syringes at all in B & Q, Wickes, etc. I suppose I could use one of those would glue bottles with the screw top pointed nozzles, but a syringe allows for higher pressure which will help to ensure maximum coverage.
Kind regards,
Saeed
sr_ng 786

Any Chemists shop

Have you thought of raiding the kitchen, and using the device used for basting roast joints? [It's a long glass or plastic tube with a nozzle at one end and a hollow rubber bulb at the other. You squeeze and release the bulb to suck up liquid, and then squeeze it again to expel it]
I bought a cheap plastic one from Sainsburys for under a quid - which I use for all sorts of DIY jobs. [SWMBO won't let me use her superior glass model! <g>] Not sure how much pressure you can generate - but probably enough to deliver PVA to the back of loose plaster. Mind you, it only holds about 30ml at a time - but is very quick to refill.
--
Cheers,
Set Square

I`m not sure that will work, the glue will only be bonding the loose particles together, I don`t think you will get a clean enough wall to stick to, if it is old lime based plaster that has "lost it`s guts" as we say, then it will have no strength to hold itself together, even with glue helping. What we usually find when we are hacking off old plaster, is that the wall paper is actually holding it all together and large amounts fall off. Sounds like you need plasterer. Just my two pence worth.
Booga.

The suggested PVA option sounds a whole lot cheaper than a plasterer, and could be actioned within hours - try finding a plasterer!
It's a no-loss situation. Trying the PVA approach will cost pence. If it doesn't work then no harm done, and experience gained.
PoP
Jonathan wrote:

Oh, it does indeed work VERY will - I had som craecked screed and I glued it back together with duluted PVA - lots - poured into the crack. It shrank back to a very tight joint indeed.

Local model shops. I believe the radio control guys use them for fueling.
Dave

A similar method is used by building conservators to help support 'important' plaster which has come adrift. It is not especially successful in my experience but worth a try. Make a drain hole at the bottom so with luck you can see when the excess fluid starts to come out.
Start by wetting the space with water (+a dash of soap to make it wetter) first otherwise it will be so dry that the pva won't spread. Make the pva mix very watery too. One of those flexible syringe extenders helps to spread the liquid around
Anna -- ~~ Anna Kettle, Suffolk, England |""""| ~ Lime plasterwork, plaster conservation / ^^ \ // Freehand modelling and pargeting |____| www.kettlenet.co.uk 07976 649862

I get mine (used) from a local vet.

On sale with the Elastoplast etc in any supermarket... in Italy.
The British are very uptight about sales of syringes and needles. Heaven alone knows why, you would think it better to ensure that IV drug abusers at least have access to a cheap, safe supply of needles and syringes.

Heaven
Not many of our drug users are on 100ml doses.
Smaller sizes of syringes are usually available free to addicts.

Yes, they are available in grey plastic roll-up packs, and can be found dumped in many local parks, shrubberies, public toilets etc.
wrote in message

Any nurse, paramedic, doctor, dentist, etc should be able to get you rucks. They come in really useful.
<<snip>>

Hi Saeed,
Had to do this myself so I dug a used silicone tube out of the wheelie bin, unscrewed (eventually) the nozzle and inserted one of SWMBO's finest knitting needle into the hole (Backwards, holding pointy end or you risk puncturing the disk) to force the plunger disk out. Clean the tube / nozzle / plunger disk then fill with pva ;)
Reusable a few times, too ;)
hth
--
Jet

On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 20:34:20 GMT, "Jet"

Screwfix do a bag of 12 new nozzles for 99 pence - item #84994. I bought a bag last week when ordering something else.
Reason for getting these nozzles was that I'm fed up of throwing away half a tube of Gripfill (or similar) when I'm part way thru a job. Now I don't think it will extend the Gripfill past the end of the job, but if it can just hold back the inevitable for a couple of hours that'll do me.
Haven't tried it out yet, but for a few pence I may save a few pounds.
PoP
PoP wrote:

Good griefe. I had about 6 spare nozzles last month - if you are really going through (in my case decorators caulk) why bother to cut a new nozzle and fill it with gunk. I simply fitted nozzle to new tibe, thereby not wasting what was in it, and acquiring several new nozzles as I worked my way through a sixc pack of tbes,.
(For teh curious, green oak shrinks in a massive way after a couple of years, and decorators caulk is the bees knees for tidying up in a redecoration exercise).

Put a nail in the end.

Guess who forgets to have nails to hand? ;)
Though I have put some gaffer tape over the end of the nozzle before now. That does the trick for a short period.
PoP

Doctor or pharmacist (or if you need bigger, a vet) - where else?
--
geoff

writes

I think either rswww.com or www.farnell.com MAY have them