where to get a bird guard etc

just had chimney swept after suspected bird nest (none found) ... sweep has a "roofer friend" who fits simple bird guards for £60 ... I suspect that's £50 for fitting and £10 for guard... (push fit conical type made out of thick wire ) anyone know where I can get a push fit bird guard from (that I can fit myself)... (I was going to just stretch chicken wire over chimney pot temporarily while I find something)...

need then to refit (or have refitted) living flame gas fire... (disconnected to let sweep have access) only needs compression joint tightening to fit 8mm gas pipe to fire... fairly simple diy job ... but guess I should get corgi man out? though I wasn't impressed with their workmanship last time ... as a competent diyer I could probably do better in this case)... Also, I notice that the sponge seal which fits between the edge of the gas fireback and the flush face of the fireplace needs replacing... what type should be fit ... I remember when the corgi guys fitting it a few years ago ... it was basically self adhesive sponge strip (very like draft strip)... they made a bit of a mess.. twisting it up and not sticking it on properly etc... is there anything special about it (I don't think its heat resistant or fireproof)... where can I get some from?

any thoughts?

Reply to
eric

Forgot to mention ... anyone had any experience of that special black spray... sold at B&Q for touching up the ceramic coals and the back of the living flame fire? Does it work?

(disconnected

Reply to
eric

With regard to your "Bird Guard" I think you already have the answer. I fitted (stuffed) some "balled" chicken wire into the top of the chimney pot and secured it with some mastic. You can't see it from the ground and it keeps the bloody birds from falling into the chimney. It's been there for ages. As for maintenance you'll have the same problem with a "real" bird guard as it will need to be removed for the sweep.

Regards Q

Reply to
Qubix

For sealing gas fires, boilers you can get all the proper sponge strips, tapes, etc. from bes.ltd.uk.

Reply to
OldScrawn

They are known as wire balloons and are available from all builders merchants for about £7.50 + v.a.t.

Wire balloons come in different sizes e.g. 8", 9", etc., so either guestimate the internal diameter of your chimney pot or ask at the merchants what is the most common size in your area. The wire legs are just stuffed down the inside of the chimney pot to retain the balloon in place.

Alternatively there are slotted pressed metal flue terminals especially for gas fires which replace the actual chimney pot. These are secured by a clamping plate which is cemented onto the top of the chimney stack and cost approx £15.

Shorty

Reply to
Shorty