Where to buy timber?

With it being a garage, there's always the possibility to spend the money on a nice saw if you don't have one, and rip green trunks down.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Hmmm.... if true that's a bit sad :-(

"Their" website certainly never resembled their real stock, and appeared to be nothing to do with the woodyard from what I could see. Dunno about a one man band - there certainly used to be several people there shuffling wood about, and a couple more in the shed with the machines. Sad if it's really gone - I'll see if I can pop around that way sometime.

Indeed. Another decent old timber yard gone (I'm hoping not, but it doesn't sound good...)

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

It sounded true. The TimberClick guy seemed to know the Folkestone yard (he talked about "when we were based there" whch actually sounds as if the old firm mutated into TimberClick rather than being taken over by them) and though he gave me the new owner's name and number readily enough, he was at pains to emphasise that the stock was now very limited. Of course that might have been nothing more than sales talk.

Apparently, the Folkestone yard is trading as Channel Timber Yard Ltd: they have an ad in the local paper this week. "For all your timber needs" it says. Of course that might just be sales talk, too. It's not that far from me, I'll try to call round.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules

Yeah, found a few mentions from people online suggesting it had gone downhill as well. Oh well

Don't know where about you are, but another decent yard I've used in the past (used this one a bit more recently - last autumn) is canterbury way.

think you mentioned hythe - that's not too far away. I got the impression they were big on hardwood and custom work, but they do the normal stuff as well.

I'd be interested to hear what you find.

Cheers,

Darren

Reply to
D.M.Chapman

Tick an online option?

Reply to
The Other Mike

I just sent an enquiry to TimberClick ("The new way to buy timber") for the price of ten 4m lengths of tile battens.

Their response was: "Sorry but the volume is so small that we would not be able to offer".

I haven't yet tried Channel Timber Yard Ltd (nee Channel Woodcraft) but they're next on my list.

Bert

Reply to
Bert Coules