where to buy slats of wood

Want to make some shelves in an airing cupboard consisting of slats (strips) of wood. The max width of the cupboard is 26.5 inches (67 cm).

I'm guessing that some wood in the most 'popular' sizes is cheaper than others.

Any suggestions for North West London (Finchley Central Area) as the best place for reasonably priced wood of this kind please.

Reply to
john chandler

If you're buying it from somewhere like B&Q, it's all unreasonably expensive.

I don't know Finchley, but your local timber yard will saw you some cedar to whatever size you like. It won't cost appreciably more than the "wrong" size of cheap pine, but it'll be exactly what you want, and smell heavenly for years.

A quick google throws up this lot near you...

Skipweasel

The slats in mine annoy me, the way I use the airing cupboard (as a drying cupboard, with clothes hanging over each slat). If I was to build one, I'd look to use something circular so you can easily pull things off without dragging the fabric across sharp corners. I have thought about dowels/broom handles, or pipes (copper, or steel for wardrobe rails). Could use slats with the edges well radiused, particularly upper ones.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Wickes. Colindale, Cricklewood, West Hamstead, Wembley.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That's what I did when I built one in our old house. Our clothes-airer in the stairwell also had rounde edges on the slats.

Reply to
Skipweasel