Where to buy picture framing materials at a sensible price?

I need to frame a few large prints but the framing timber seems to be staggeringly expensive. I'm looking for a simple small black molding - are there any good/cheap suppliers?

Dave

Reply to
NoSpam

Most of mine is natural timber, so I rout my own. Cost me twenty quid for a smallish Queen Anne bit (makes nice cushion mouldings), the rest is mostly scrapwood trimmings from furniture making. You'll need a router table, not freehand.

Hobbyworld (big sheds on every retail park) used to be quite good for ready-made, but didn't seem to have any last time I was in there.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Unless you have a trade supplier nearby, it might be easier/cheaper to buy framed prints from Ikea or similar and use the mouldings.

Reply to
stuart noble

I've had good luck buying frames at charity shops - they seem to charge less for the ones with really ugly pictures in them. Add a can of black spray paint, and you're done.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I presume mouldings from Wickes etc are no use then

NT

Reply to
Tabby

It used to be, but Ikea's frame quality dropped through the floor a few years ago.

I used to buy Ikea's Sann frames (plain wood / plain painted wood) by the dozen - I used to sell Japanese woodblock prints, buying them in bulk, then matting and framing them before sale. When they were French made they were great, the Polish ones were OK so long as you inspected beforehand (good finish, but poor wood), the Chinese are now crap. I don't buy from Ikea any more.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Not unless they're intended as frame mouldings. The general Burbridge pile of mouldings just aren't the right shape.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

You need a rebate to take the print, plus the backing, plus at least 5mm for fixings, so you're stuck with mouldings designed that way.

Reply to
stuart noble

Ebay?

Mark.

Prohibitive delivery charges IIRC

Reply to
stuart noble

problem is most picture framers have disappeared from the high street, and the few that remain either will not sell you frame mouldings or want 7/8 of the price of one of their made to message frames.

-
Reply to
Mark

I have this link saved - I haven't used them yet but I intend to place an order Real Soon Now. As well as mouldings, they will do a kit for an given print size, and also sell hard-to-find stuff like 2/2mm backing sheets.

you use them, let s/me know how you get on.

HTH jon N

Reply to
jkn