Where to buy a hosepipe

Hi, I need to buy a hosepipe that is 250m long. Is there somewhere that I can buy one, perhaps straight from a factory or something?

Reply to
Maart

What is it for, and why such a length?. My estimation is 820ft.

Anyway you have two choices, first to make it out of standard lengths bought from a wholesaler or DIY store and use couplers. Or get a list of various makes as supplied from your local DIY store, and search the web for the contact details, and ring the sales office for price.

John_ZIZinvalid

Try a farmer's store - where they sell cow pruners, sheep openers and the like. These are great fun to shop in - all manner of weirdness, and the proces are often good too (3kg of copper sulphate for a tenner!)

However 250m is _very_ long. You may need significant water pressure and you'll still get poor flow. Make sure the hose is big enough diameter. If possible, use a shorter hose with couplers - when you can, just used the short length alone.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

At that length you might be better of with a larger bore irrigation piping system in ldpe - see

example. They do 13mm and 19mm systems.

A cheap flexible hose that length will put up quite a bit of flow resistance.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Good luck coiling it up neatly after use. My 10m one fights enough. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

There are a number of useful calculators on the web (e.g.

$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex787) that will calculate pipe losses. The losses tend to increase non-linearly with flow rate, so that head loss over 250 metres can be significant at anything over a trickle in small hoses.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Mckenzie

250m. Comparing to a 30m length of hose, that's 8 times longer. Or if a standard mains pressure is 3 bar, or 30m of water pressure, you're looking at about 4m of water pressure. About equivalent to a normal length of hose on a tap fed from a cold water tank in the house.
Reply to
Ian Stirling

Probably not even that good.

I got a new 30m hose on a reel earlier this year (how _did_ I cope with all that excitement at once?!!!) & being a lazy toad & eager to use it I connected the existing hose (about 13m long, for some reason) to the input.

The flow rate drop was dramatic - one of those sprinkler gun things on the end of it went from being "very good" to "usable but not great" in an instant.

And that was with a mains feed to the cold tap & pretty decent water pressure.

Reply to
RichardS

The numbers are right. Flow rate depends only on pressure drop per unit length (well, apart from the fact that a hose may bulge at high pressure). Some hozelock-type connectors, especially some "stop" fittings can gramtically reduce flow rate.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Machine Mart can/used to be able to order in extra long lengths on the hoses they stock.

Reply to
Mike

Reply to
Pete C

unless it is of substantial diameter the flow ill be very poor. Probably better to get a roll of pastic mains water pipe, and use that instead.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher