Where to buy a heavy-duty wheelbarrow ?

Does anybody know a supplier of heavy duty wheel barrows ?

I've had one for many years that took everything I could throw at it, concrete, bricks, stone etc. but it's now finally given up and I can't find a replacement. The builders merchants hereabouts sell barrows that are just about capable of transporting soil/sand but nothing more substantial. :-(

I've got 10 tons of Purbeck stone that needs shifting over the next few weeks.

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Jewsons Buildbase Burdens NOT B&Q though

In message , R writes

I agree if we are talking about a cheapy 'garden' wheelbarrow The wheelbarrow that I got from B&Q warehouse some years back, seems to be just the same sort of black steel 'builders' barrow that they generally sell in the BM's (in fact IIRC, it was exactly the same one sold in some places).

I think this type of barrow is ok, but I think builders tend to give their barrows a fairly hard short hard life and then chuck them. Mines been fine, but the tray has rusted through at the fixing points, whilst the frame, wheel etc. is all still fine. I'm considering maybe one with a polypropylene tray when I replace it.

Anyway, I've not bought a barrow from them, but have used them for other stuff before, but these people have a decent selection, including some heavier duty ones.

Reply to
chris French

I got mine for the local farmers supply shop. Id recommend one with a pneumatic tyre rather than a solid tyre. Actually Id recommend you get a small dumper from the local hire shop, or if you have room any machine with a front loader. The small ammount you pay on equipment will be saved in treatment for a bad back. if the stones are large, its not easy to load them into a wheelbarrow so it does not fall to one side as you push it.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

In message , Rick writes

Yeah my brother who does landscaping work has a powered barrow. We used it to do some work on my parents garden, shifting lots of soil/stone etc.

It was so much easier than wheel barrowing it.

Reply to
chris French

Then find a flatbed barrow, without sides. Much less lifting (especially lifting whilst reaching, which is the risky sort) and there's a reduced risk of trapping your fingers too.

My favourite barrow pre-dates 1948 (it still says LMS on the side) They Just Don't Make Them Like They Used To.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

How much is there left of the old one? If the "undercarriage" is ok, perhaps you could get a local metal fabricator to build a new "body" for it.

Reply to
zikkimalambo

My local Ridgeons is doing them on special offer. All steel construction, mine stood up to barrowing several tons of wet concrete last summer.

Reply to
dom

Not Jewson's (or Travis Perkins). I'll try Buildbase and Burdens

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton

Try an independant hire shop.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Thanks, and to all the other suggestees, several of those barrows look like they'd do the job. I feel a weekend of barrow hunting coming on :-)

Cheers,

John

Reply to
John Anderton