Where to buy 200VA toroidal transformer

If I've heard that 1000 times... 0.6v is the point at which silicon _begins_ to conduct. Check some rectifier diode data sheets for V drop at i rated.

yes, Vpeak is about 1.5v less per additional diode drop.

:)

NT

Reply to
Tabby

varies by diode type, the above is around 1v.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

Actually, under decent power, a power diode drops about 1V.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

The bridge will see a normal sine wave for virtually the whole cycle but with a point of inflection at the zero crossing but the capacitor will be unaffected by this. Yes of course it will smooth to a different voltage but that is what you are try to achieve isn't it??

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

The correct different voltage would be useful

Having had a closer look, it looks pretty crude - 2 diode bridge and a regulator - bet it'll work with 9-0-9

As long as I can achieve the tight footprint

Reply to
geoff

Hmm,

Way back when the RS catalog was a single volume and usefull ( it had application notes which were good enough for you to pretty much design a project from! ), they used to sell a transformer 'kit' where you wound your own secondaries as required. The primary was pre-wound, IIRC. You then assembled the E and I laminations and glued the whole shebang together or somesuch. Haven't noticed it in there recently.

Reply to
Ron Lowe

You need to look at the V/I curves on the manufacturer's spec. sheet.

Could be 2V. or 3V. if something were to draw 100A. for 1 microsecond.

Reply to
Windmill

OK with a full wave (not a bridge) rectifier and a 9-0-9 you will get

12-13v dc depending on load with ripple depending on the capacitor. If it then regulates with a three terminal LM340/7800 series regulator , that needs about 2v head room from the troughs in the input ripple. Should be OK if the regulator is down to 5 or 6 volts but marginal if too much higher. You might be able to increase the value of the revervoir capacitor as modern farads tend to be physically smaller. Not sure if that breaks your modification rules though?

Worth a try as it sounds like you have few other economic options.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

As I said before - it's a 2.5VA transformer

we're talking 100mA range her, so, as I said - about 0.7V

Reply to
geoff

Actual Vdrop depends on the diode, they vary a far bit, and also on the circuit conditions.

If we estimate 25% regulation for a 2,5VA trafo at 9v, that's 280mA mean. At 25% regulation, the conduction window will be in the vague region of 25% of the time, so when conducting diode current average =3D around 1A.

NT

Reply to
Tabby

I remember those. They had 2 or three ratings IIRC. You can still get the 100VA version here:

of luck to Dave, trying for 20v on toroids. For some reason that particular voltage just doesn't seem to appear, does it? This lot would make one as a one-off, I'm sure...

mick