Where should I ask about wisteria?

I was about to buy a wisteria at a garden centre when the sales lady asked if I realised it would not flower for 5 years. Her explanation was that wisteria does not flower for 7 years, and these plants were 2 years old.

I wondered if it was possible to buy 6-year old wisterias which will flower in 1 year?

I realise that this is rather OT, so as a subsidiary question, can anyone recommend a good gardening newsgroup?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Does this help..The BBC link suggests the lady may be right .

Stuart

In message , Timothy Murphy writes

uk.rec.gardening is your friend.

Reply to
chris French

I believe they won't flower whilst they are growing to their ultimate size, so to speak. Only when you stop it growing ( by trimming it back ) will it start flowering. It may take a few years to achieve the required size, so that automatically means you will not get flowers until you have it totally to the length you want it.

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

There's some amount of truth in that. We have one at the back of the house, some 20 years old. If you let it, it would keep on growing, but in the initial stage from a small plant took about 3 years before flowering. Nowadays, if cut back very severely, the flowers are inhibited in the following season but not completely, but the year after, it will flower profusely.

Reply to
Andy Hall

In message , Andy writes

Hmm, not sure about that, I've seen some really big rambling Wistarias that got hardly any pruning with plenty of blooms.

However, like many plants, pruning does tend to encourage increased flowering.

Which reminds me it's time to get the summer pruning done on ours.....

Reply to
chris French