Where's the thermostat?

My son in law has a central heating system that doesn't appear to have a thermostat. There is no thingy on the wall that you can adjust.

It uses a ACL Drayton LP522 control unit. Does this have a built in thermostat or do I need to fit one externally?

Sam

Reply to
Sam Farrell

Some systems rely on TRVs on the radiators to control room temperatures.

Reply to
Invisible Man

Reply to
Sam Farrell

The LP522 is a heating & hot water programmer timeswitch and doesn't incorporate a thermostat. He probably has TRVs on each radiator. If not, it's almost certain that a thermostat can be connected to the boiler.

Reply to
mick

Can you turn down the heating output on the boiler? I don't think I've ever seen a boiler without a main thermostat on the front of it.

Reply to
BigWallop

Sounds like a crap installation and whoever did it didn't understand what they were doing. It could so easily have been much better.

Derek

Reply to
Derek Geldard

Thermostats are cheap - wireless one is easy to fit.

Reply to
John

That would work as a rather crude work around until a stat is fitted. Though I am suprised that there isn't one with no TRV's. No stat and TRVs everywhere is quite common, it's only recently that building regs changes have prohibited such installtions.

Fitting a stat is simple particulary if you choose a programable and wireless model.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

And the boiler manual should show you where the connections go

Reply to
stuart noble

In message , Sam Farrell writes

no, it's purely a programmer

Reply to
geoff

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember "Sam Farrell" saying something like:

Many cheapskate bastards fitted CH systems with no stats, relying on the boiler stat to do the work. Horribly wasteful, imo. Easy to update, though.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon