Where get cheapest methylated spirits?

Have you drunk it all yet?

Reply to
Walt Davidson

The terms and conditions that you accept when you buy a ticket to cross the channel on any carrier, plus Section 52 of the Air Navigation Order if you are flying, whether in a private aircraft or on a carrier.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

In teh sasme veind, anyine know where to get 5l of ACETONE withouit having to prove I am a vicar or definitely NOT refiniong cociane or something?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

hairdressers' / beauty salons' wholesaler?

Reply to
Mark W

It appears that what he's on is having the desired effect ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The message from The Natural Philosopher contains these words:

I got a gallon can 25 years ago from Strand Glass but no idea whether it is still available. Let me know if you find a source. I have some fibreglass repairs I have to do some time and my can rusted through and I lost whatever was still in it.

Reply to
Roger

He may be misquoting this from P&O iii) Unless we give you prior written permission (which shall always be at our sole discretion), you may not bring with you any firearms or other weapons of any nature or substances of an explosive or hazardous nature. You may carry inflammable substances only in limited quantities and in accordance with our instructions and permission.

Since carriers (that would include me btw) safely move dangerous goods daily there are regulations to comply with in this case IMDG usually it means the goods are OK in small quantities in approved and marked containers and with information as to what to do in case of a spillage DW

Reply to
Derek

I buy my Meths at Wilkinsons (Wilko), and if memory serves me well, it was £0.99 for 500mL.

Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

Nope. They tend to use 250mol bottles ONLY.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Well I found 500ml here

for £3.50.which isn't too bad. I'll get some next time I buy carbon fibre...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

similar?

Reply to
Rob Morley

For some things maybe but there are applications for which some sort of alcohol is by far the best cleaning agent. I made what I thought was a reasonable assumption that the OP had a specific cleaning requirement that needed alcohol and that he wasn't just washing his hands with it.

Reply to
usenet

Soap is a wetting agent and is not a good cleaner and it doesn't kill germs either. That is why soap powders have been replaced by detergents as they are far better at cleaning.

Meths isn't very good at cleaning either, it is a solvent and you have to keep diluting and then removing the solution. There are better degreasers (for example) but they are a bit more dangerous in the wrong hands.

Meths is still useful as antifreeze in the windscreen washers but it can attack the wiper rubbers.

Reply to
dennis

MAGIC!!!

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

In message , "dennis@work" writes

The useful thing about alcohol-based solvents is that they are miscible with both water and organic compounds.

Reply to
Steve Walker

Anyone got a source for undyed meths without the pyridine ? I'm using it as a solvent for shellac in french polishing. I can live with the methanol, but the stench of pyridine is horrible.

Price not really an issue !

At the moment I'm using pure (sic) ethanol, which is a royal pain to get hold of.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I would say the best place to source it would probably be dedicated chemical supplier. Some will show to private individuals but be prepared to buy a fair amount. You will be able to get everything from MS grade ethanol (very expensive) to cheap slosh-it-round-glassware grade which will probably only be denatured with methanol. Even the cheap stuff will come with a breakdown of it's contents.

Maybe try Sigma Aldrich

Graham

Andy D> It was somewhere outside Barstow when Bill Woods

Reply to
doozer

Distill your own?

Reply to
Rob Morley

In fact, routed through Wilkinsons today and it is in fact £1.19 for 500mL. Paul R

Reply to
Paul R

want

Reply to