Where get cheapest methylated spirits?

I use METHYLATED SPIRITS as a cleaner in the home and garage. I want to buy a couple of litres.

At present my local hardware shop sells it for a rather expensive £1.75 / 500ml.

I don't see meths listed online at any of the websites for Homebase, Focus or B&Q. Do these DIY chains actually stock meths and what do they charge?

Or maybe there are cheaper places to buy meths?

ALternatively I am told that ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL (also called ISOPROPANOL) is a good cleaner but the only place I have seen it is the chemists and they charge handsomely for it! Maybe there is a cheapish source for ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL?

Reply to
Bill Woods

Next time you or a friend of yours goes to France, get a few 5 litres from a hypermarket. Only about £3 for the 5 litre container.

Reply to
pete

Problem!!!

you're not allowed to carry it by Ferry, Eurotunnel or Air!, unless you swim across with it.

Reply to
runlikethewind

I normally pay over £5/litre for IPA & if you don't have adequate ventilation you get the hangover from hell. Cheapest place to buy meths is your local decoraters suppliers or copying suppliers (copying spirit)

Duncan Wood

£1.75 doesn't strike me as expensive, and it strikes me as one of those "much the same price wherever you go" type of things

DrSteveW

Reply to
Steve Antony Williams

Petrol is only 80p a litre.....

Reply to
Phil

That sounds pretty steep, especially if you use it in any quantity. I pay ~£6-7 per winchester (2.5l).

Reply to
Grunff

I bought a couple of half litre bottles a couple of weeks ago (use it in Trangia Stoves). Went first to Boots, they had none in stock. The independent chemist opposite had it at £1.25 a bottle.

Ash

Reply to
Ash

I use soap.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I don't use very much :-) Where do you get yours?

Reply to
Duncan Wood

A lab chemicals supplier - they will supply to the public, but you need to order 4 winchesters at a time (so that's about £30).

Reply to
Grunff

Anyone know a stockist that keeps it in the fridge as it isn't the same at room temperature

LOL !!!

Dale

Reply to
Dale Grimsley

Only half an answer I'm afraid - yes they sell it, I bought some in B&Q the other day (next to the white spirit). I would be very suprised if it was cheaper than £1.75/500ml though.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

you buy 5 litres it is £10.89 so thats £1.09 per 500ml but there will be delivery costs on top unfortunately...
your only slightly better off.. Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I brought 20 litres back last month.

Reply to
pete

Now there's a helpful comment! :-)

Reply to
usenet

Better hope you don't get caught then!!!!

Reply to
runlikethewind

Well it's cheaper and safer than meths and very good at cleaning - that's what it's designed for :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I use thinners when I need a powerful cleaning solvent.

Comes in at under a tenner for 5 litres from a trade paint supplier ..

Cheers

Paul.

Reply to
zymurgy

Which current regulation (Act, Chapter etc) are you on about?

Reply to
pete