Where do the valueres get there figures from

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Michael McNeil) wrote:

As I think I mentioned here fairly recently, the difference can be even more marked than that - with estate agents if not mortgage valuers. To put figures to it, we had two "sets" of valuations done - the first in February when we thought we were ready to go and the second in July when we really *were* ready to go. In March we had valuations ranging from 95k to 130k, though the 95k lady eventually agreed that we should at least try it at 100k first [1]. In July we had 105k (from March's 95k lady), 120k (they suggested 110k in March) and 125k (a company we hadn't asked in March). We discarded the 130k March company as being too obviously desperate for the business!
To be honest, I don't think any of them had a clue, despite the fact that nearly all the similar houses (half a dozen or so) in this row have changed hands in the last five or six years.
So they're certainly not singing from the same song sheet here in S25.
Hwyl!
M.
[1] The 95k lady sold next door for 95k in December and had obviously assumed that our house was identical. In fact, our plot is substantially larger than next door, we have a full-height bay at the front where they don't, we have two garages and parking for a total of five cars, we have a conservatory twice the size of theirs and a kitchen extension which a: makes our dining room rather large and b: makes a very nice kitchen. To be fair, they do have an extension at the front which has increased the size of the small bedroom and added a downstairs loo, but we really didn't feel that putting the house on the market for the same price would have been doing the property justice. The feeling we got was that this lady was more interested in a quick and easy sale than getting us the best price.
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk /

This is a strange use of the word 'ideal'. people commute because they don't have a sensible alternative choice. I can't see anyone choosing to buy in Stoke and driviing 80 miles a day to save 10k on the price of a house.
Tim