Where do I get the code for a car radio from?

I bought a car radio from a car boot and didn't get the code. Is it a fiver in the bin or can I get it from somewhere?

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

It will be recorded by the dealer who supplied the car to which it was fitted, when the car was new.

Your chances of tracing that are very slight!

I suppose you can go through all the 4-digit (or whatever) codes until you find one which works - but that could take a *long* time. Many radios make you wait for progressively longer times between attempts if you keep getting the code wrong.

ISTR something about putting the radio in the freezer to make it "forget" its code - but I've no idea whether that works.

Reply to
Roger Mills

The make and model would be a help.

Reply to
Fredxxx

+1.

Also many options on eBay, I used one once (£2 iirc).

Reply to
newshound

Is the correct answer. Give full details as best as you can. Mr Cheerful will most likely sort you out.

Reply to
Mr Pounder Esquire

SFAIUI if it is a Ford car & radio then Ford garages have the kit to do this. If other make try the respective garage.

good luck!

Reply to
jim

Sorry about that I forgot. It just says Goodmans and compact disc player Model No. GCE 7109 CD

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

The manual makes no mention of codes, I'd only expect them with a factory fitted radio

But it does have a helpline phone number.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Which strangely doesn't mention any entering of a security code when installing the player.

Reply to
Fredxxx

He certainly seems to have a high success rate with his crystal ball for radio codes. Further discussion is pointless until the OP has asked there.

Reply to
Ian Jackson