Where can I get a router bit like this?

Hi,

I need a router bit that will cut a 3ft-long straight channel in some maple. I need to cut a channel that is semi-circular in section, 0.5" in radius, or thereabouts.

Anyone tell me where I can buy one, online?

Thank you,

JD

Reply to
JakeD

Rumble

================================== There's one of these in my Wickes bit set and also in my Trend set so they should be available anywhere online selling router bits. Try Toolstation:

Cicero

Axminster part No 80016-14

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Hi Rob, Thanks for the reply, but that part number came up as a felt polishing tip; not a router bit.

JD

Reply to
JakeD

...but yikes, it's expensive at nearly £33!

JD

Reply to
JakeD

Wickes on Friday. I'll go and have a look. I couldn't see quite what I wanted at the above link.

JD

Reply to
JakeD

Might be worth emailing this seller to see if he does a 1/2" version:

John Rumm

best place

The Natural Philosopher

JD

Reply to
JakeD

Nothing there big enough, but thanks anyway - At least I am learning the different names people are using for these bits: "radius cutters", "bowl carving bits" etc. Now I have more terms to enter in a search engine...

Cheers,

JD

Reply to
JakeD

================================== Sorry, I mis-read your post as 0.5" *diameter* rather than radius. My Wickes set doesn't have the larger (1" diameter) bit but the Trend set does.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

Something like one of these?

quality too. I know many who would recommend them.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew May

Thanks... I've now decided I need one about 15mm radius. I found a trend one at:

it is £56 (not including P&P). I might hold out for one on eBay.

Thanks,

JD

Reply to
JakeD

================================== You could probably achieve the same result with the smaller bit (and much cheaper) by using two passes. It depends on how regular you need the groove to be.

You could also do a 'ping' for George in this group as he's a bit of an authority on importing bits from America at good prices.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I use their cutters a lot and can vouch for the value for money.

Reply to
1501

Unfortunately, it needs to be a perfect semi-circular channel.

OK - thanks for the idea.

JD

Reply to
JakeD

Yes! Thank you for the lead. They have the size I need and the price is much more affordable.. Knowing how fast router bits get blunt, I may have to buy more than one...

JD

Reply to
JakeD

Thanks for the thumbs up. Unfortunately, the 32mm one has a 1/2" diameter shank and my router only taks an 8mm dia shank, max. Back to the drawing board... )-:

JD

Reply to
JakeD

You may not be able to cut that sort of size with an 8mm shank tool.

Maybe time to knock on the local joiners door...?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher