where can I get a good-quality air thermometer?

Hi - where can I get a good-quality air thermometer, i.e. that is accurate, robust, and has a big range (ideally -50 to +50 but -40 to +40 would do [C]).
I don't trust those cheapo ones with a bimetal coil and attached needle. I'm not too sure of the cheapo LCD-display ones either.
Hatch

http://www.WML-Weathershop.de
For external accurate comparisons (ie met office standard) you will also need a Stephenson Screen set 1.5m above cut grass away from the house.
Beware Oregon electronic devices which are appallingly inaccurate.

Very lucky. You happened to get a relatively good one. Someone has to. Speaking to one supplier a few years ago, he noted that for fun they got a number going together in the same place and noted a difference of over 2.5 degrees between them.

Can't answer that one. I've got a small screen.

Hi Hatch.
Theres no such thing unless youre willing to pay real money. The usual household glass tube ones are always fragile, the metal spring ones can be very inaccurate. The digitals are much better, but again arent exactly built to last.
If youre serious you need a comercial electronic thermometer, but expect to pay 3 figures. It will however give you everything youre asking for, plus at least 0.1C accuracy.
Regards, NT

There were secondhand portable units - about the size of a DVM - being offered on eBay by the makers complete with new calibration certificate. Think they went for about 20 quid.
--
*Wrinkled was not one of the things I wanted to be when I grew up

www.hawco-direct.co.uk (I think) or just google for Hawco.