Where can I buy a rope hoist?

As subject. For domestic use.

Regards

Reply to
newman

search on block and tackle suppliers.

locally I would nip round to a ship chandlers

If you want something to lift stuff into the loft then a wire rope winch for a boat trailer would do.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

Or a jeweller's, which is cheaper.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

???

Reply to
mrcheerful

Have you seen the price of yachtie chandlery ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

I was thinking more of this type of thing

newman

> Regards

==================== That looks like a 'Haltrac' engine hoist. They were common enough in most car accessory shops a few years ago. It might be worth trawling around a few of your local car shops.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero

I have one (a "Haltrac") sculling around in the garage (I think), which the OP can have for the P&P. Drop me an email - details in my sig.

Reply to
Huge

Aah, I see, round here there are 'real' ships chandlers, as opposed to 'captains hat and a fibreglass cabin cruiser' places. So I didn't think of cost.

If the OP says the likely load and lift length perhaps we could give more ideas?

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

>>> Regards

Trouble with haltrac is the limited lift length. You can buy very cheap wire rope versions nowadays, but they have the same limitation.

I use a tirfor wire rope winch, which has practically limitless pulling distance, as the wire goes straight through the unit, no pulleys to get full up.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

I dont know how much youll use it, but if its just for occasional use, you could probably make one for a few quid using a metal bar and no pulleys, and nylon rope. If you use it day in day out the rope will fray after a while because of the lack of pulleys, I mention it cos most of us will have enough bits in our box to make something up in 10 minutes.

Even a decent piece of wood could be used as a pulley block if the load isnt too much, just drill generous holes in it and curve the hole corners round so the rope sees a smooth graduated bend.

Note I've not made them that way, but have used enough of the techniques described here to think it should work.

Many times I find its quicker to make my own kit than go to a shop.

NT

Reply to
bigcat

If you had a sensible email address, no matter how presented, I could have offered you one!

Reply to
Alan Holmes