Where can I buy a blowtorch head that connects to a regular LP gas supply? i.e. not propane

I am looking for a supplier of a blowtorch head that is suitable for connection to the low pressure gas mains as opposed to a propane tank. Does anyone know of a supplier?

Reply to
Peter

you could try..

and accessories

-- Sir Benjamin middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Aren't "low pressure" and "blowtorch" mutually exclusive?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Assuming the OP didn't mean blowtorch but just some sort of torch, one can get brazing torches which are suitable for NG or LPG from (eg):

Bob Mannix

Yes, my mistake, just a reasonably direction and hand held torch that does not need an air supply tube and/or air pump. I am just looking for something I can connect to a natural gas supply bench tap.

Thanks for the FlameFast link, the nearest they supply is the pencil torch, however, it is produces a flame rather to fine for my needs.

Reply to
Peter

Yes it's the no air requirement that gets you. LPG supplies are higher pressure and can suck in enough air to work. To use NG you need pressured air to produce the right mix to do anything. Most small lab- based brazing set ups run off bench gas taps but have a compressed air supply as well. You could buy a compressor of course but a propane cylinder may be better. If you haven't got one, the cheapest way of getting one is to "liberate" one from the nearest tip (assuming they have an area for dumping them) and then go and get it refilled. That way you only pay for the refill. Naturally I would never do this as, in theory, they belong to the tip operators and it would be thieving but I have heard of it being done.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Reply to
Set Square

Hmmm! this might be what your looking for then?

Benjamin middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

My local gas supplier almost refused to sell me a new cyclinder, saying I could buy one from the local tip for a fiver. I didn't have time to do that and managed to persuade him. He did warn me that cylinders cannot be returned for re-filling unless they still have the plastic cap.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

You can find the larger bottles anywhere, but try and find one thats 4.5 or

6.9 kilos and its like looking for gold dust. I went to a local gas supplier and he charged me £10 deposite for the bottle and £10 for the gas/Propane.

-- Sir Benjamin middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

referring?

Reply to
Set Square

No, notice the question mark on the end of the response. :-)

-- Sir Benjamin middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Well, yes, this is exactly the flame I want but I want something more comfortable in the hand, more compact, and with a more convenient flame control.

Reply to
Peter

Ok my friend, stop teasing. What was it that you saw in the BES catalogue?

Reply to
Peter

Heh heh! Took three trips looking at the masses of big ones but there she was, a single 4.5 (which was what I was after!)

Persevere.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

We are getting dangerously close to DIY here (which will bring the safety police down on us but is, at least, on-topic). Cut and shut bunsen burner?

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Go for propane. Although you can get natural gas torches, and you can ever get natural draught natural gas torches that don't need an air blower, they're a pretty pathetic thing to try and use.

Propane is cheap and effective. Oxy-propane is even more fun.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Only £2 from my local tip. Many of them are still half-full too, if you hunt. We run the kiln and smithing forge entirely on dump-bought propane, then turn the empties into woodstoves.

Reply to
Andy Dingley