When you can see the BFCC

If Shappi was a racist comedienne, she would be banned. As she is not banned and has appeared on the main tv channel BBC1, that proves she is not racist and neither are her jokes.

Reply to
Thumper

In message , Thumper writes

I wasn't aware that the BBC were arbitrators of what is or is not racist.

Reply to
bert

I never deliberately misquote. the record is there, there is no point in misquoting on usenet. AFAICS you are racist by your comments as you consider a white person saying a joke as being racist but don't consider an Asian saying the same joke as racist.

It doesn't matter what the BBC say either as they haven't banned white people from making that joke or banned Asians from making the joke either.

It doesn't actually matter what the joke is either, it is you that is saying its OK for one race and not for another to say it.

Reply to
dennis

A racist says that another ethnic group can or can't do something solely because of their ethnicity. Therefore saying one group can make a racist joke, whereas another group can't, smacks of racism.

Reply to
Fredxx

You've deliberately misunderstood me. The whole concept of a joke being racist is that it has been told by someone, and the subject of the joke is person or persons of a different race. It doesn't matter what racial background either the perpetrator or subject are, so long as they are different.

A black person can tell a joke about another black person and it would not be racist, but if a white person told the same joke it would be racist.

That's all I have to say on the subject and anything I have said doesn't prove either way that I am or am not a racist. It's only you and fred who think I am :-) I can live with that.

Reply to
Thumper

I never said that. I've explained better what I meant in my reply to Dennis.

Reply to
Thumper

I don't believe they are. But if viewers started complaining about a stand-up comedian taking it too far, that comedian would probably not get air time.

Reply to
Thumper

I understand you as others do.

That is racist!! The joke may not be but that concept is, you are treating the two races differently because they are different races.

If its OK for the black person to say it then it is OK for the white person to say it. It may not be funny but it must be OK.

Fine.

Reply to
dennis

Saying it is acceptable for one person to tell a "racist joke" and unacceptable for another, on the basis of ethnicity is a racist attitude.

I don't think, I know you are racist. You have proven that time and again. If I tell a racist joke here about a West Indian, is that acceptable without knowing the colour of my skin?

I don't hear anyone defending your racist views! You're in denial.

Reply to
Fredxx

I don't deny that. But I don't see the difference between white racism and non-white racism. If you can discern and see the difference then that is the very definition of racism. You will also be in denial of being a racist.

Reply to
Fredxx

I thought they used fastest path routing, and that can change halfway through a conversation.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I actually give up trying to understand what your on about. Every time I try to answer and explain what I mean, you witter on about something that I haven't even said.

I reckon that you assume everybody is racist, and every nasty comment made about someone must have racist overtones.

If I saw 2 girls in the street, one was black the other Indian, and I thought the Indian was really pretty but the black girl held no attraction at all, you wouild say I had a racist attitude.

Reply to
Thumper

I don;t agree with that unmless you're saying all white peolpe are the same and all black people are the same. Race is an odd one anyway as we are all part of teh human race, so making jokes about animals is racist. What happens if I as a white person tells a hurtful joke about an irish white person. Also does it just depend on the joke or who you're telling it to.

Reply to
whisky-dave

I think a racist joke is a joke that is based on something funny about that persons race or seen to be funny.

But then again if a dogs name can be banned or thought of as unacceptable where do we draw the line and what colour should that line be in.

it's not wrong to treat difernt races differntly.

I agree but it also depends on how they say it or perhaps the tone.

Reply to
whisky-dave

So one human should be treated differently to another? I though even apartheid was outlawed in South Africa. Are you saying that such treatment and segregation is now acceptable?

Surely the words themselves are most important? And how they may be received by others?

Reply to
Fredxx

You said it is not racist to tell a racist joke under some circumstances. I say that a racist joke is just that; a racist joke.

No, I am saying that if any says that certain races have privileges over other, in this case the telling of jokes, then that is a racist attitude. Most people wince if they hear a racist joke, irrespective of who tells it.

We were talking about jokes that may offend others, not that of sexual attraction.

Reply to
Fredxx

Yes I can agree with that view.

Provided the different treatment isn't offensive in any way.

Reply to
Thumper

Yeah I can see where your coming from with that argument. At least you're not personally attacking me with false "you're a racist" accusations at every opportunity.

The white British taking the mick out of the Irish is a whole new can of worms. It's more nationalism than racism as both same race. It's like USA and Mexico.

Reply to
Thumper

Ok. I see your point.now. I think our argument went on so long because you seemed equally determined to call me a racist every time. You didn't need to do that.

Reply to
Thumper