when will laminate flooring go away?

I know, its trendy because of these TV programmes. I rent a modern house and its full of it. But its cold as hell (bring back carpets), no acoustic properties (glad I dont live below it), attracts muck and to cap it all, getting out of the bath to answer the phone I went arse over tit and broke my ribs. Flooring from hell! But its a real industry, is Carol Smillie to blame?

Reply to
kevin77

Anyone who gets out of a bath to answer a phone has got to question their logic!

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry

I agree, all the cheapo laminate is foul, and when it has been down a while and shrunk and curled it looks like old lino.

mrcheerful

Reply to
mrcheerful

We don't have a tv but we do have some laminate flooring. We don't consider it trendy either.

It's not (not that Hell is cold, reputedly), we have bare feet indoors.

With all the filth they store and living cretures they provide a cosy home for ...

You mean you make a lot of noise?

Nonsense. And it's jolly easy to clean.

So you don't have a) a cordless phone to take into the bathroom? b) a bath mat? c) the sense to stay upright?

Who?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I bow to your greater experience!

You really aren't making sense.

Actually real lino is extremely good floor covering on all counts.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

"Have you had an accident that's not your fault ..."

In the meantime buy yourself some room-sized rugs and take them with you when you move.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

More like "doesn't hide muck"

Easier to mop than vaccuum me thinks

Paul

Reply to
Paul ( Skiing8 )

Good one!

I sweep. On the odd occasion it has unsweepable dirt - the sort which would stick to carpets - I wipe it up. We did buy a mop for it but I can't be bothered, I like an easy life!*

Mary

*aka I'm idle
Reply to
Mary Fisher

And nobody mentions the asthma enhancing, sick building syndrome formaldehyde resins used in the construction. I prefer rugs to carpets, take them outside to air etc. but real wood boards please.

Reply to
David

You do what you please in your own house, we have the freedom (at the moment) to do the same. 'Real wood' has its price too ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

">

together in half an hour - its like real wood, except it isnt like real wood. Goes with the Ikea furniture and white sofa though.

rather walk over a deep pile carpet than skate over the laminate rubbish.

surface - the rest is physics.

Reply to
kevin77

Don't have those either :-)

Nope.

Yes it is, but our floors are already insulated.

Oh come on! That went out decades ago :-)

Ours can't be rubbish then because we don't skate.

No need to with hard flooring. A sweep is much easier and doesn't use electricity.

Well, you might be a physicist but you're certainly not a biologist if you think there's nothing living in your carpet. Especially a shag pile.

Non sequitur.

er - you said you were in the bathroom ... "getting out of the bath to answer the phone ... "

Ours doesn't.

Q.E.D.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

We do ;) Ok the sofa is cream but it's close enough :) We have Ikea furniture too, cheap enough to change when you get bored with it or redecorate... Though we both like the modern "uncluttered" look - Ikea stuff doesn't really go well in a period Victorian setting :)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

I think kevin77 was denigrating them ... I don't. We don't have them because all our furniture has been given to us by various people. It's - er - eclectic in styles :-)

But it does its job. Chairs keep our bums off the floor, tables the plates ... what more can you ask? We don't sit around looking at it and haven't time or inclination to bother about getting something else.

I'd love an uncluttered house. Trouble is, we're both untidy folk and there's always so much going on here ...

Ah well, when we die it will be somebody else's problem :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Ok :)

Don't have much choice really, our place is too small for it to be much else... ;)

Lee

Reply to
Lee

You're telling me!

£1700 for a medium sized sitting room and hall. Have decided we like the old stained carpet after all!
Reply to
Zikki Malambo

Glad to know it's not only us that have furniture like that. I find that we collect an unwanted piece of furniture each time we move into somewhere new as well. Combine that with the fact that I like to think I can make the stuff myself... well, no two pieces even nearly match :-)

:-) exactly my philosophy. I'm hoping its a long way off yet though and that maybe one day I will be able to achieve tidiness.

Reply to
doozer

That's the one. Then there's the situation of inheriting a real matching pair of chairs. Spouse thinks they'd be nice restored to original condition, as they were in his grandmother's time. So he restores one.

Still, when we have large faily meals everyone has his favourtie chair and uses it, there's never any mistake.

I've started. Today I threw away a Lidl receipt ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

er - what does the carpet rest on? It's surely not hovering in limbo?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

In article , Mary Fisher writes

We have just had a new carpet fitted in the living room and rather than move everything back in the way it was we have just moved back the essentials and are going to see how we get on without all the clutter, it feels a totally different room, one month on and still going strong :-)

Reply to
<Dave