when will I learn...

.=2E.needed some plastering doing recently and as I'm useless at plastering I gave someone a ring out of the local paper (again!!). When will I learn?! Anway, seemed to know what he was talking about so I gave him the job, 4 rooms and he quoted =A31900. He's done 2 of the rooms now. 1 is ok (ish) but the 2nd he put plaster on existing plaster which had some paint on and the plaster he's put on has refused to bond and simply comes off. He's been at this room he says for 3 days. Anyway today he says all the plaster needs to come off - the original and the stuff he's put on. And he's quoting another =A3400! And has not adjusted his original quote. The guy obviously isn't experienced and I feel as if I'm paying for his own mistake in not taking the plaster off in the first place. What are peoples take on this? Would you expect to pay extra in a situation like this?

Cheers

Reply to
womblesofwimbledon

Cheers

So pay him £900 for the two rooms and get someone in thats cheaper.

Wow! £400 a room...I'm in the wrong game.

Reply to
George

Ring your local trading standards and ask if they can recommend a good one.

Reply to
Mogga

I think that there is only one person being taken here unfortunately.

If he's plastering on unsound surfaces he really doesn't know what he's doing. "ish" isn't good enough. At these prices, it should be nothing short of excellent.

I think that there are two choices.

1) Show the guy the door now and agree the lowest price you can to get rid of him. Start from zero and work up to a figure not exceeding £300 (for the first room). Employ somebody who does know what they are doing. 2) Hold him to the original figure. Frankly that's too much anyway.

I'd pick (1), show him the door offering him a very small amount for his materials and time. Photograph the result and let him sue you for the rest.

Reply to
Andy Hall

No, the issue is that the 2nd room that he's done needs to be started again. So I won't be paying =A3400 for that room. It will be =A3800 for that room as he wants paying another =A3400 to re-do it.

Reply to
womblesofwimbledon

I agrre with this statement, but only offer him for the materials as he has clearly wasted his (and your) time. Then post his name/company on here so we don't use him!!

HTH

John

P.S. Where are you? You might get a good recommendation from here!

Reply to
John

Definitely this (1). He can't expect you to pay him extra because he did it wrong the first time!

Mark

I know an excellent plasterer who i used to help out as a labourer during my hols. He would get 4 rooms done in a day no problem and no- where near the cost you have been quoted (not unless your rooms are exceptionally large). If you are skimming over a wall that has been painted you should apply a coat of unibond first, did he do this ?

Reply to
daz9643

To be fair the other quotes I received (3 in total) were around the same price so I didn't mind the price although maybe I have been ripped off. Yep, he unibonded. Claims that something was still eeking through and taking the plaster off. Ectoplasm maybe.... ;) Oh well he's nearly finished now. Can't wait to be rid!

Reply to
womblesofwimbledon

There's one born every minute.....

Reply to
Andy Hall

In what respect andy?

Reply to
womblesofwimbledon

Not stopping the whole thing when a) it became clear that he was a bodger and b) the request for more money.

Reply to
Andy Hall