When is rewiring necessary?

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:13:46 +0100, "Mary Fisher" mused:

Well there you go then, condemnable. 'Not right' doesn't equate to 'condemned'.

Reply to
Lurch

What year was that in Mary?

Reply to
cynic

We were told to have the wiring redone in accordance with the regs, it would be examined and condemned if not done according to regs. It was back in the

1960s but it seems to me that regulations have increased rather than decreased over the years, I've known a pensioner be left with no heating or hot water because of a fault with her boiler - this by a government scheme.

But there's no point in continuing this because nobody's going to take any notice of my experiences - as if I cared :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

On Tue, 31 Jul 2007 22:52:14 +0100, "Mary Fisher" mused:

Be that as it may, I can't condemn much these days, I can only advise on what wants doing. I have condemned stuff before and the customer has decided to completely ignore me and carry on as they are, it's the way it works. You obviously listened to the advice you received.

Gas is different to water, people take notice because it's gas and there is more weight behind the authorities and gas suppliers.

I'm not not taking notice, I'm telling you where your experiences aren't the norm. As usual, you are bandying advice about based on personal experience, intefering as I call it. ;)

Reply to
Lurch

I've never heard of such a Reg, indeed it would be absolutely normal to have 2- or 3-pin 5A sockets for small appliances and lighting and 3-pin

15A sockets for heating, up to c. 1948.

Any wiring old enough to have 2-pin sockets might be unsafe for other reasons.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

That house might have been wired pre-war and altered and added to wiring wise many times over the years. By the '60s, standards had somewhat settled down and weren't *that* much different from today. Of course the only way to tell if it does indeed need a total re-wire is by testing and examination. It simply can't be done by age alone.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from Tony Bryer contains these words:

My late parents bungalow, built in 1968, had twin plus earth wiring for the lights. I also had a central point for the ground floor lighting with a mass of screw-it (?) junctions and the earth wires wrapped round the containment in an untidy mess but that, as they say,is another story, the ending of which has yet to be written.

Reply to
Roger

Having had the wiring checked this morning it turns out that it's rubber. So it's a rewire unfortunately. On the plus side the house is empty of furniture and we're in the process of decorating and fitting new carpets throughout so now is a good time to do it. I'll take the opportunity of putting some downlighters in at the same time.

Reply to
Geoff Berrow

"Geoff Berrow" wrote

Also time to look at circuit layout. How many, future requirement etc etc Make sure you get a split box with plenty of spares just in case.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Yup. This could be useful then:

I'll take the

meow2222

A mix of 2 and 3 pin sockets was common in the 60s. A minority of places still had that in the 80s.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

On new build?