When is a garage not?

I'm thinking of moving (or more likely demolishing and rebuilding) my current detached garage so it could be linked to the house through a small rear extension. But the space available means that the new garage could only be a maximum of 2.25m wide externally: too small, surely, to house a car with any practicality.

However, I don't use the existing garage for a car, and wouldn't use the new one for that either. The current garage is insulated and lined and used as a workshop and I would do the same with the new one.

Though I don't need access for a car it would be handy to have a largish door from the drive to the new garage for moving sizeable items in an out - the current garage still has its double doors, with removable lining panels inside.

If I just build a single front door say 1.5m wide, will the building still be regarded as a garage? The floor will be well below the house floor level, there will be a fire-resistant internal connecting door and so on, but would the garage be classed as habitable and part of the extension? And would it actually make all that much difference if it was? Is there actually a statutary requirement to have a garage?

I've looked for the answer to this online and not turned up anything that seems relevant. But if it is out there somewhere I'd appreciate a pointer in the right direction. Many thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Buy a motorbike. Plenty big enough for one of those. A scrapper bought for a few quid would give the ability to demonstate the "continued" use as a garage to house a motor vehicle. (Should you need to prove the point).

Al.

Reply to
Alan (BigAl)

I'm sure it would house a car. Getting in or out of it might be more of a problem.

Why not just get planning permission for a workshop from the start?

I would think that a garage is defined by the ability to accept a car. The narrowest garage door I can find is 6ft 6in (1.98m) wide and my car wouldn't fit through that with the door mirrors extended.

Not that I am aware of, but if your house is the only one in the street without a garage, it might affect the value of the house. Can you, as a friend has done, put a door in the back wall of the existing garage, to give access to the workshop?

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Thanks for that - I used to ride bikes a good deal (Vespas and other scooters mainly) - pleasing times, except when it rained.

But is it likely that I ever would need to? Perhaps I should do the official thing and simply ask my local Buildings Inspector.

Reply to
Bert Coules

By whom?

By planning officers & building control? Ask the council. By potential house purchasers? Ask an estate agent. By you?

Reply to
Adrian

I'm reluctant to involve extra procedures and expense if they're not necessary.

That's not a factor that concerns me, really.

Ah, I already have. But I would prefer direct access from the house.

Thanks for your reply.

Reply to
Bert Coules

I shall, but it would obviously be valuable first to have some knowledge of what their reply might be, hence my query here. Isn't informed discussion of such matters one of the reasons why this group exists?

Reply to
Bert Coules

Demolish a garage /build a garage I dont see as an issue but the connecting extension would surely require some sort of planning permission as it will be an addition to the property. As others have said best check with the proper authorities.

Reply to
ss

do you actually need planning permission? or B regs?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Thanks for that link. I had in fact already looked at that site: it's quite informative for general matters but doesn't seem to answer my specific circumstances.

I don't think that planning permission wil be needed but there will be building reg requirements to be met.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Not planning permission specifically if I understand things correctly, but there are building regulation requirements that will have to be met.

Reply to
Bert Coules

No, but there may be planning constraints requiring the provision of off-street parking for x vehicles. This may be an issue if you're removing a parking space.

Also a workshop will probably be counted towards Council Tax banding, a garage is less likely to be.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

if so it wouldn't come in til he sells up anyway?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

Owain,

Ah, that's something I hadn't thought of; thanks.

Reply to
Bert Coules

Interesting point.

I am not sure what defines 'habitable space' as against 'workshop' or 'storage'

The presence of a bed certainly does...

If a garage was a garage and its replaced by another non habitable space, I'd argue there is no change of use, and planning permissions should not be refused on those grounds.

And if planning is granted for a 'non habitable space' then that's the regulations that will apply.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think you do for any substantial erection within 3 meters of your boundary.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I think there will be planning permission needed. Anyway, ask the planning officer. Planning wouldn't get refused. And builidng control is probably necessary as you say, and indeed the BCO is often your friend, if you want a decent structure erected and not a tacky rickety shoddy affair using whatever the builder had to hand.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Thanks for that, and for your other replies. I phoned the council this morning and am waiting for a call back to set up an appointment.

Reply to
Bert Coules

On Tuesday 16 July 2013 12:20 The Natural Philosopher wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Not necessarily: Permitted development - that's covered fairly well on the planningportal.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Certainly our Borough Council are quite happy for a garage to be converted to a habitable room without Planning Permission. Building Regulations are another matter.

Reply to
charles