When dishwashers go bad

My dishwasher has of late, but wherefore I know not, lost all it's, um, dishwasherlines. Especially on the top shelf, things are coming out speckled with lots of tiny particles of dried on grot. I'm thinking some part of the grot-filtering must be amiss, and perhaps the top shelf pipe dips deeper in the the grot-sump than the bottom shelf pipe.But the bit at the bottom where the water goes is all screwed together with torx screws and looks a bit scary. Does anyone have any suggestions? I don't want a flood or a broken dishwasher.

Cheers

John

Reply to
aboleth

I assume you regularly clean all the filters? Jon

Reply to
Jonathan Pearson

I do regularly clean the ones I know about - there's a plastic cylinder with some mesh which pulls out and a large flat sheet of coarser mesh. I also clean out the rotating squirters which sometimes get sunflower seeds in them. But even with these things clean it's still leaving things speckled.

Reply to
aboleth

Have a close look at the rotating arms - they distribute the water/ detergent. The holes in them may be blocked, which would affect the volume of water being chucked about. Check also that they are free to rotate, and that the jet-holes in the tips of them, which are the means of propelling them around, are clear - bit of bone in particular can get lodged in them.

(Ex Hoover design engineer here!)

Reply to
Homer2911

Mine does this when the top sprayer arm gets stopped by a stray serving spoon or similar.

Reply to
adder1969

Usually happens when the arms are not free to rotate - blocked with bits of bone or even grease. Do they turn freely, and are their driving jets free of all bits.

You could, as a last resort, do what we did at Hoover to check machine operation, which was to fashion a perpex door to allow us to view what went on inside.

Regards

Ex Hoover design engineer

Reply to
Homer2911

Ours does that occasionally and it is down to the rinse aid dispenser being empty. Fill it up and all goes swimmingly again!

HTH

John

Reply to
John

even if they look clear the water flow down them can push food which has some time got past the filter to block the holes. These can then appear clear again when examined. Try forcing water through the central whole from a tap and checking each hole again.

Reply to
NikV

There's a matrix of complicated interlinked plastic pipes that usually sit one side of the machine. Waste water passed through this matrix. and over time the valve that controls the ingress of fresh water and the expulsion of waste gets fouled up.

It's a bit of a fiddly, messy job - but if you remove one of the side panels you'll find the matrix can be removed and cleaned. If you do a search on google groups on this forum using my name in the author field you should find a more thorough description of the cleaning method.

Regards.

Reply to
Stephen Howard

Mine did this for a while. A few cycles of super hot seems to have cured it - which suggests it might have been something soluble blocked in the sprayer arm things, which I didn't check as well as I might.

Rob

Reply to
Rob

John

Can I ask if you have changed your dishwasher tablets recently. The reason I ask is that we had the same thing happen when we used the 'Gentle Action' variety but when we went back to full strength ones the problem disappeared.

David - Milton Keynes

Reply to
David Klyne

Returning to this topic as I haven't sorted it yet (new baby slowing me down).

Today I managed to run it with the door open. I learned several things.

1) If you run a dishwasher with the door open, prepare to get wet. Also prepare to suffer skin irritation if you stupidly put powder in. 2) the rotors are not turning. It seems like the pressure is not sufficient, water is coming out of all the holes, but not hard enough to turn them. I removed the lower one and blocked its pipe with my hand, and the oomph was enough to turn the top one. I think I've got a general loss of pressure. Anyone got any thoughts on why / how to fix it?

Cheers,

John

Reply to
aboleth

Genius! The control panel on ours is broken, so I set it on Eco and left it there. Tried it on 65 deg Intensive and when I opened the door half way it soaked the room.

Thankyou!

John

Reply to
aboleth