When did lath and plaster go out of fashion?

In general, and perhaps in rural Scotland?

Just taken down a small internal "porch" from my daughter's kitchen. Clearly not original (flat dates from the turn of the century) and built on a chipboard floor. Bits of newspaper stuffed in the wall suggest a date of

1981 for its construction but surprised by its L&P construction.

Were there still "old school" builders in the early 80s using L&P or is it more likely that the floor was replace beneath an existing internal wall?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

"Graham." wrote in news:ng2unq$70m$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

When my wife stops saying "pull the chain"

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Oldest house we owned was a 1957 semi. It had no studded walls but all the ceilings were plasterboard. So I would say pre 1957 at least.

Richard

Reply to
Tricky Dicky

So a mere snip of 15 years ago?

Its not unknown for lathe a plaster walls to fall down leaving the lathes.

Assuming the lathes are in good condition, or where damaged areas are repairable it's probably just as easy to plaster, ie base coat etc in the normal way.

No one I know would make a new L&P wall!

Reply to
Fredxxx

I've not seen lathe an plaster on anything post-war, so before that anyway.

"In the United Kingdom and its colonies, lath and plaster was often used for interior partition walls and the construction of ceilings, before the introduction of plasterboard in the 1930s."

The Natural Philosopher

Thanks. I've been coming around to that idea as the most probable answer.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Plasterboard started in 1888, apparently. In Rochester, Kent.

polygonum

Or we stop "taping" TV programmes.

Reply to
Steve Walker

This house had a deal of war time repairs after bombing. All plasterboard.

Parent's house built new in 1936 in Scotland all lath and plaster.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

One on topic reply. I think there are people out there who can build these walls and finish them in the old traditional ways, for example where extensions are built I was surprised about 6 years ago to be shown that the walls were in fact being finished in the old way in the new part, presumably to make it all hang together as one unit as things settled. i don't know not being a plasterer! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

On 30 Apr 2016, DerbyBorn grunted:

Nowt wrong with that: we still 'pull the chain' here!:

(or

Lobster

Perhaps I should think about:

- chain disappearing into ceiling, with old fashioned triangular metal 'pull' on the bottom

- switch operated by chain, activating an Arduino to play sound effect of loud 'clank'.

- wireless link to solenoid in low level cistern, to operate the real flush.

Reply to
Bob Eager