wheelie bins

Only _most_ cars? In my (shortish) street there must be at least half a dozen cars parked at any time, day or night. Then there's the problem of grass verges to contend with. Around here at least, you're supposed to leave your wheelie bin (WB) just inside your curtilage so this machine would have to reach around many parked cars (and visiting cars parked on the highway), across the grass verge (with some trees) and the footway... :-) Quite a challenge!

I'm reasonably happy with a driver and four or five operatives dragging WBs to the rear of the truck. Especially just before Christmastide they make a reasonable job of puttiing the bin back where it should be ;-)

Shortly 'we' are to receive a new (blue (dark; almost navy)) WB for recyclable stuff to replace a very basic box into which you're supposed to dump newspapers, 'tin' cans and (unbroken) glass jars and bottles. Apparently the new WBs have a sort of basket insert for certain items and they'll accept some sorts of plastics - an insert sounds like an awful lot of trouble with broken/missing bits.

Just to confuse everybody the original WB for general stuff is green in colour; the second one, for garden ("green") waste like grass clippings, overgrown things, weeds et. al. is actually brown in colour.

I usually dump all my recyclable stuff (apart from cells/batteries (which I just dump in general waste (at the advice of the LA)))) in designated receptacles in JS' carpark.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Well I'm in NZ. Four million people in a country the size of the UK. There's plenty of room here. I can fit six cars on my property so there's seldom need to park on the road.

It seems that my council is able to sort out a mixture of paper, cardboard, bottles broken or not, tins that aren't very clean, and plastic bottles of all kinds even with their lids on. Basically anything with a recycle mark on it, except for foam plastic. It would be really easy to separate out foam plastic, and it could be used for insulating house concrete foundations etc, but they don't want it.

Reply to
Matty F

You missed out one bit - they'd actually walk down nextdoor's drive and climb over the fence to get our bin from the back garden!

SteveW

Steve Walker

You've just given me a great idea. We have to put the bins out the night before, as they collect any time from 06:30 and I'm still in the bathroom then - neve mind a motorised bin, I want a automatic one that will put itself out if I forget!

SteveW

Steve Walker

In message , Steve Walker writes

Oh yes please ! :-)