Wheelbarrow wheel bearing bolts removal

I've been given a builder's barrow in good condition that has lost one of the wheel shaft bearings - the sort that are bolted onto the frame with two coach bolts. I took it on the basis that I reckoned on recycling the bush (or bushes and wheel) from an existing clapped out barrow.

Anyone any ideas on how to remove the bolts as being coach bolts the heads are rounded and there's no way of gripping them ? And before anyone else suggests it - yes, I could just cut them off with the angle grinder !! :>)

Rob

Reply to
robgraham

1) Just possible but they are probably too tight (or rusted) - Use hacksaw to cut slots and the use large screwdriver. or 2) Get one of those reverse thread bolt extractors like this
drill into the head and extract the bolt.
Reply to
Tinkerer

To give yourself the best chance (assuming they aren't really rivets...). Squirt with plus gas or other penetrating oil. Then cut slot with hacksaw - vibrations helping the oil do it's stuff. Then heat up with blowtorch and spray with wd40 while it's still hot. That usually loosens things pretty effectively, but if you have one, it is best to make your first unscrew attempt with an impact driver.

Actually, I've just realised this is probably rubbish, because if you really mean the bolts go right through and have nuts on the other end, they ought to have square sections under the dome already to allow for nut removal and tightening. Once you've got the nuts off, they may well need the 'heat spanner' as above before you can knock the bolts through with a drift though.

spamlet

Seems to me "blowtorch" plus "spray with WD40" might be a little more spectacular than you had in mind.

The OP probably wants to be certain the blowtorch is out before squirting. And that he has a safe exit route.

Andy

Reply to
Andy Champ

Actually - as I have sometimes had to repeat the process several times over on some stubborn blind bearings - setting fire to the WD40 is often inevitable, as, indeed is setting fire to any grease that is left in the bearings - and any rubber seals too. Normal workshop safety and ventilation measures were taken as read; and modern click on and off blowtorches are a great improvement in this respect.

spamlet

Had another look guys - it's going to be the angle grinder. Too rusty, the square hole for the shank has clearly corroded away as well and trying to get in with a big enough screwdriver into a hacksawed slot is just not going to work. And anyway the bolts would have to be replaced.

Many thanks Rob

Reply to
robgraham

Had another look guys - it's going to be the angle grinder. Too rusty, the square hole for the shank has clearly corroded away as well and trying to get in with a big enough screwdriver into a hacksawed slot is just not going to work. And anyway the bolts would have to be replaced. Rob

With stainless, for next time... and nylock nuts.

spamlet