Whatsitcalled!

Or a fishtank air pump will do nicely as well. But I have seen nice ones made for nothing from the fridge pump. It comes with built-in oil sump as well. (You tinopener the case)

Reply to
EricP

There was a slang name it was called at school when mixed. I unforget it.

Reply to
<me9

Got a link to the destructions? I would like to have a poke around the innards of a fridge. (The beauty spots are decorated with them around here -if any one wants a spare from a local folly.)

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Trefolex?

Rocol RTD Paste or spray (Reaming / Tapping / Drilling) Available at engineering suppliers

John

The message from EricP contains these words:

Windcreen washer pump.

Reply to
Guy King

In message , Andy Hall writes

Presumably you will need some sort of emulsifier?

Known as *mystic* when I were a lad......

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

A big settlement tank is the usual way. However, the mix is an ideal breeding ground for bacteria, so you should use a proper cutting fluid, which will contain biocides, or the pipes get clogged up with gunge. I prefer to use modern synthetic cutting oils, which are much more effective than suds.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

It can be anything up to 25:1, depending upon the cutting fluid used. However, the mix changes with use, as the heat of cutting evaporates the water off, so the concentration needs to be checked periodically. That is usually done by placing a drop of fluid on the end of an optical device, which, when you look through the eyepiece, shows the concentration as the difference between dark and light areas along a scale.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
nightjar

|The message |from EricP contains these words: | |> They are designed to shift gallons a minute. He only needs a little |> piddle of cutting oil over the workpiece. | |Windcreen washer pump.

Traditionally in the Engineering Industry, for small jobs and infrequent use. A small hand oil can filled with cutting oil and water. One only needs a pump for big *production jobs*.

Ah! the smell of cutting oil brings back memories.

Reply to
Dave Fawthrop

When I was using the cooling fluid on cutting lathes, milling machines et.al. in the nineteen-fifties we called it 'Solly-Oil' a corruption of Soluble-Oil. The oil was water soluble and became milky-white when diluted. Memory is that the stuff smelt and overalls, particularly pockets, became rather 'niffy'. { We used a open-mesh thickish red cloth to wipe down the machines surfaces, clearing off swarf and keeping everything ship-shape, or at least to the Chargehand's and Foreman's satisfaction. The cloths kept fininshing up in a packet of the overall/boiler suit - the grinders seemed to prefer dust coats.

I never had to purchase any 'solly-oil', so can't cite a make: googling for 'soluble oil' gave over four-and-a half _Million_ hits. So you should be able to source it.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

On Mon, 5 Jun 2006 09:24:01 +0100, Brian Sharrock wrote (in article ):

Wasn't that just in Birmingham, though, referring to a suburb to the south? ;-)

(sorry, couldn't resist).

Reply to
Andy Hall

Listen wack! Where I come from Birmingham ' Oi'll give it five!' was considered to be in the deep south, - far from God's Country- fifty or more miles down the M6 - which hadn't penetrated that far down!

Liverpool's motto; 'Deus nobis haec ostia faecit' = 'God made this harbour for us'. Every Corpy bus and dust-bin wagon had this on the side - so it must have been true!

Couldn't resist!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

The message from Dave Fawthrop contains these words:

In my case, memories of mum saying "That stinks, go wash".

Reply to
Guy King

An old paintbrush in a jam-jar is fine for even more occasional use, or an inverted Fairy liquid bottle, with its bottom cut off and a length of windscreen washer tube stuffed in its cap, strapped to anything handy and with a toolmakers clamp on the tube to control the flow.

Reply to
Autolycus

When I was an apprentice in the 60's we used a white coolant / lubricant that was made from SOLUBLE oil and water. I thank the trade name was Amasol - smelled like 'Gunk' (the degreaser) which is also a soluble oil.

Reply to
anon

We were somewhere around Barstow, on the edge of the desert, when the drugs began to take hold. I remember Alex Threlfall saying something like:

Cutting fluid. You can use all sorts for different metals, but a bit of engine oil mixed with diesel or paraffin will do nicely for most. I've also used biodiesel with good results.

There's no particular trick to it, just keep the speed down, the drill sharp and the cutting area well lubed.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Sadly no, I saw my first one in a small engineers years ago and remembered it because it was interesting.

Reply to
EricP

and looked like.....

:¬)

Reply to
PeTe33

I think the informal name was 'suds'.

For some extreme alloys I think neat rear axle oil was recommended. For light alloys paraffin.

Reply to
Ed Sirett

Dialysis machine...

Reply to