Whats the tool you would use to...

shape something on plexi/perspex that is not an intricate shape ie shape of a tear drop?

looking for suggestions but at the mo the 12GBP Aldi bench grinder is winning. :-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Suspect you may get a melting of the plexi/ perspex and a rapid "blinding" (filling of the cutting edge voids) of the abrasive wheel if you use the grinder method, attractive as the price may be. Maybe it won't happen but I suspect it will.

You don't mention size of the teardrop and this could have influence on the method best used.

If it's a small teardrop handtools it may be applicable to hacksaw to approximate shape and then file to precise shape needed. If larger then I think I'd try an electric jigsaw on a low speed, speed too high and plastic particles likely to adhere to the blade or surrounding area. If the shape doesn't have to be too precise a jigsaw finish may be all that's needed. If precision is needful then I'd leave an allowance and finish by filing.

Genuine perspex is normally supplied covered with a film to help avoid scratching whilst cutting. If the material you use has no coating then you'll probably need to exercise your ingenuity to fix some sort of protection to the sheet prior to cutting, as well as placing the sheet on a non-abrasive surface whilst cutting.

Reply to
Oome

Large tear drop.

Actually the fine abrasive wheel is doing a better job than the tools you have suggested(have tried hacksaw/hand file) it does leave a residue around the edging,but once it has hardened it just flicks off and leaves an almost flat surface. Once I've finished the profiling on the BG I'll file for perfect finish.

I've cut two cardboard templates out and taped them to the perspex then grinded the perspex to near the taped edges and then will move tape to the near finished area to grind where the tape was.

Thanks for input.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

One of these

't you ask the other day what they were good at?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Linisher

Reply to
Mr Alun Davies

The message from "The3rd Earl Of Derby" contains these words:

Do you mean a 2D shape cut out of a slice or a full 3D shape?

Reply to
Guy King

Yes,but it was too big for my pokey little hole of a workshop...cant swing the cat in there.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Rotozip thingy works a treat on all plastics/perspex and the like, bloody handy with a tile bit fitted too !!

Got mine off ebay !!

Reply to
Staffbull