Whats the solid insulation called?

Hi

A couple of questions;

  1. Can anybody tell me the name of the solid insulation which is a solid foam, backed on both sides with foil?

  1. I'm about to start building a downstairs WC in the under the stairs cupboard (has plenty of standing room) of our house, which is victorian. I want to use this insulation on the inside of an outside wall as it's very cold under there. I was thinking of say 50mm (2") studs on the wall, with the solid insulation fitted between, and then plasterboarded over the top. Seems like a good place to conceal the copper pipe from the hot water tank almost directly above. Does this sound sensible, or will I be causing myself damp problems, building code issues etc?

Regards, Mark

Reply to
MarkMc

MarkMc said the following on 26/06/2007 13:46:

Have a look here:

Rumble

Polyisocyanurate (PIR) or urethane foam typically.

The most well known brand names being Kingspan, Celotex, Ecotherm etc.

Should be fine.

You could use two layers of 25mm, and that way the second layer could cover the studs as well (i.e. make the studs only 1" deep). That will stop there being any noticeable cold bridging from the wood.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thanks guys.

Cheers, Mark