What will I need?

Hi, As some of you may know I'm planning to upgrade my ancient heating system to a new modern sealed system. The type of system I want is one that will let me time the hot water and heating to come on at different times,there will be times when both (CH&DHW) will be required at the same time and also times when only DHW is needed.

My main questions are: What valves will I need? Is this even possible? The programmer I'm planning on purchasing is a Drayton lifestyle 5/2 programmer,is this a good choice?

Reply to
dawoodseed

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Would it not be a better idea to wait until the weather gets warmer?

Reply to
geoff

I recommend two motoriused valves for simplicity.

Of course.

No idea mate.

They are all pretty much the same. Closing one or to contacts at periodic intervals is hardly rocket science.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

wrote

The purists here will tell you to use an "S-Plan" piping layout which has 2 motorised valves and NOT a three way valve "Y-Plan". If you google the subject, you will find plenty of info on heating systems, circuitry etc. One recommendation I would make is consider a 3 event programmer for the hot water side. This is useful for hot water heating top-up.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Not so much purists as pragmatists. S-plan 2-port systems are much easier to fault-find when something goes wrong (as it will at some point). Depending on what the OP's house is like, lifestyle, and the amount of work involved, splitting the heating into two zones, each with its own 2-port valve and controls may well be a cost-effective enhancement.

As to the OP's original question on programmers, 5/2 sounds like you have to have the same program for every weekday and another one for Sat/Sun. I would go for something that allows full 7-day programming - Honeywell CM or similar.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I am actually going get this system upgraded in the summer, I just wanted to know some extra information.

Reply to
dawoodseed

I do not need a 7 day programmer because our requirements are the same for weekdays and differ slightly in the weekend.

Reply to
dawoodseed

In message , snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com writes

Life changes and whilst one can do both the other can't. For the hassle I'd choose the 7 day programmer.

Reply to
Si

I don't know whether they're still available but my Danfoss SET5 programmer has one programme for weekdays and a (potentially) different one for weekends (or it can do the same thing every day of the week by changing a jumper setting).

As Simon says, a 7-day programmer is more 'future-proof' - but does have the slight disadvantage that you have to enter 7 programmes, even if they are mostly the same. That said, there is often a facility to copy a programme from day to day - and it's not really a problem anyway unless you are frequently re-programming it.

Reply to
Roger Mills

Assuming that you are moving from a non condensing to a condensing boiler then I would recommend you check that your radiators are adequate. (You need to ensure that your return temperature is low to get the best effeciency from your system). Also condensing boilers heat the water to a lower temperature so you may need higher power radiators.

Mark