What was the best tool acquired in 2012?

Some DeWalt tools seem to be the best of that type. Their high torque corded drill, I've not seen its equal for a compact(ish) tool for putting large auger bits through timber. Also sterling job of turning a mixing paddle (although I don't use it for that very often).

Their newer 18V li-ion cordless batteries seem to be quite a step forward (but then so it is for Bosch - the lifetime of their NiCad and NiMh cells in terms of charging-cycles until had-it, isn't acceptable to me)

Could it be that manufacturers are now using lesser quality NiCad & NiMh cells in those legacy tools they still market?

It has certainly felt that way with Bosch blue stuff. My first set of NiMh's (3 of 14.4V 2.8Ah) seemed to last well, the second set far less durable - and I'm reluctant to replace again, even though I have 3 different regularly used tools using these cells.

Reply to
Dom Ostrowski

No (I have both). Lidl work just as well, but they give you more shapes. They're also cheaper.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

They're also cheaper.

Thanks Andy - didn't want to feel I was missing out on anything! :-)

Reply to
polygonum

The Aldi multi-tool.

Reply to
ARW

I foolishly assumed they had a good reputation. Both batteries have expired, the charger is refusing to charge them and it's poorly designed - the light gets knocked on easily and it then runs the batteries down, the operating lever is not lockable and easily pressed (in a toolbox for example) so again it runs the battery down and the retaining clips on the batteries broke easily and quickly. Altogether a PoS.

IIRC, it was quite expensive. Now I've calmed down a little, I suppose I had better recover it from the bin and look for some new batteries for it.

Probably not, but once bitten, twice shy.

Reply to
Huge

Is that the cordless one? If so I got one too, and it's very useful. But rather a short battery life. If only I could get a second battery.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can you get a spare battery for that?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

no complaints. Ho hum.. Ma Nature gives us wonderful tools as part of our own kit and we have to find a bit of plastic to do it with.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I don't recall if I got mine early 2012; if so, then yes, with knobs on.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

I missed those, then spent a bit more on a blue Bosch one, then they came back again. I temper my ungruntledness with a dash of superiority.

Reply to
PeterC

Well done sir.

It's only women that want the plastic tools. And the plastic tools go back in the drawer for the night when they finally work out that a plastic tool cannot swap a light fitting/cut the lawn/park a car properly etc.

Reply to
ARW