What was the best tool acquired in 2012?

After reading Andy Champ's Q about "tool of the year" for 2013, I wondered, with the benefit of hindsight, what was the best tool acquired in 2012?

I am actually rather taken by my recently bought Bessey foldable utility knife. Got mine much cheaper and without wallet from a local shop but this links shows one:

the very firm blade grip can get in the way of some things, the much better stability and rigidity compared with standard Stanley knives, especially retractable, is great.

Also very quick and easy to change blades without even a coin to unscrew.

On the downside, some of the edges are a little harsh on fingers when in pocket. Nothing awful but could have been designed and made to be more rounded.

Reply to
polygonum

Without doubt a Hitachi 18v SDS drill. How did I ever manage without it?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Without any doubt a 2" Marples firmer chisel. £9 all in off ebay.

20" long and perhaps never used. Some cleaning and sharpening required on arrival. It is a delight to use. Have made about 60 fairly large, but simple, joints with it so far. Wonderful. Given the time, I much prefer to use hand tools. Nick.
Reply to
Nick

In article , polygonum writes

retention isn't quite up to scratch although at 3quid or so a pop I can afford to have 5 spread about the place to cover my wherthfckisit issues.

Favourite lifetime tools, best not to go there I think at 19:40 on new years eve . . . . .

Reply to
fred

> Although the very firm blade grip can get in the way of some things, the

Possibly my Makita impact driver but the novelty hasn't worn off yet so I may be biased.

Reply to
David WE Roberts

I just flung my De Walt electric screwdriver in the bin in disgust. *What* a piece of shit. I shall never buy any De Walt kit ever again.

Reply to
Huge

You were obviously trying to use the wrong sort of electric screws :-)

I've got a DeWalt mains drill which I've been very impressed with, but OTOH I've seen some of their kit which seems little different in terms of build quality, structural strength etc. than stuff at the cheaper end of the market. Plus I generally don't go anywhere near any battery-powered kit unless I absolutely can't avoid it.

cheers

Jules

Reply to
Jules Richardson

I just threw out my old Unibond mastic gun - heap of crap, don't know why I didn't do that a long time ago. Tried to use it and found I had to push the plunger in by hand to get anything out. Very, very tedious.

Bought myself an over-priced PC Cox one and fingers are crossed, despite which it still seems to work very well.

Reply to
polygonum

Fugi set.

Nothing all that impressive, or expensive (well, it's pretty expensive for what it is I suppose :-))

The Fugi set is amazing. I know people on here have said before, but for years I've struggled to get a decent finish to silicone sealant - finally gave in and bought one of these sets. Wow, what a difference... Hard to explain what is so good about them, but I am completely convinced now!

D.M.Chapman

Are these any better than the Lidl ones? I think that the Lidl ones have a name moulded in which seems to suggest they are made by the same people.

But yes, they are miracles compared with anything else I have tried.

Reply to
polygonum

Got an SDS drill for xmas cheapo one but as soon as I get a dry day the first piece of hard stuff is gonna get it big time to test it out. Its sitting there with the chisel in place just waiting to attack something.

Reply to
ss

OK! OK! I'll keep well out of your way - and summon up a bright, dry day for tomorrow.:-)

Reply to
polygonum

Little Giant ladder:

heavy - but brilliantly made and well thought out in every detail, totally stable, and very flexible in usage.

On the same note, plasterboard lift:

designed by an idiot, badly made by a bigger one - but effective for fullsize sheets up to a 4.2m ceiling.

Reply to
Dom Ostrowski

>> Expensive, heavy - but brilliantly made and well thought out in every

>> Heavy, designed by an idiot, badly made by a bigger one - but effective

I can see why - but somewhat over-the-top for my simple needs! :-)

Reply to
polygonum

Expensive, heavy - but brilliantly made and well thought out in every

the screwfix one was a fraction that price, and good & solid, but not as long.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I'm quite attached to my talking steel rule with memory.

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

After reading Andy Champ's Q about "tool of the year" for 2013, I wondered, with the benefit of hindsight, what was the best tool acquired in 2012?

I am actually rather taken by my recently bought Bessey foldable utility knife. Got mine much cheaper and without wallet from a local shop but this links shows one:

the very firm blade grip can get in the way of some things, the much better stability and rigidity compared with standard Stanley knives, especially retractable, is great.

Also very quick and easy to change blades without even a coin to unscrew.

On the downside, some of the edges are a little harsh on fingers when in pocket. Nothing awful but could have been designed and made to be more rounded.

My works van....... (OK....The Company one) at my new job since June

Holds all the tools for my job. Makes me money Keeps me warm in winter, cool in summer, (Aircon) has a cappuccino maker in the back (Ok.. We all have one luxury when out on the road in the cold runs off the 5kVa inverter)

Reply to
Nthkentman

What made you buy it in the first place? It's not the most common brand. If it was very cheap, buyer beware.

I've got one of the original lightweight SDS drills which has been marvellous. Their slide saws seem to be very popular with kitchen fitters etc - so I doubt everything they make is poor.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

But rationality doesn't enter into it. You remember that one poor product every time you see a yellow power tool- and avoid for ever more. It feels like you are striking back - though its effect on DW might be vanishingly small.

Reply to
polygonum

>> Although the very firm blade grip can get in the way of some things, the

Now that's a really good one! We have a Lavazza one - and drinking a double espresso Tierra right now...

Come to think, it was bought at the very start of this year, so qualifies. :-)

Reply to
polygonum